Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 9th January  (Read 1375 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 9th January
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 10 January 21 18:14 GMT (UK) »
" .. its amazing how much a kind or friendly word can help." ...

Roobarb, these words of your have sent me ruminating back on the early days of covid.  In the beginning a part of me would sometimes dread having to come back into Newcastle from work.  At work and being around people I could almost convince myself this situation wasn't happening.  Then I would come into Newcastle, say after a nightshift and the place was dead, even though it might be a week day.  I found this quite unnerving at times.  I would think where are all the people, this can't be happening .. .  it made me feel low. (So I am not quite positive all the time but then again who is?) Then I would sometimes call at M&S in the bus station and there would be someone on the door.  There was always a big smile and a cheery greeting.  Such a little thing it would seem but I do remember how much of a 'pick me up' this was in what felt like those dark and scary early days.  It almost makes me feel like tearing up to think back on it.  So I totally agree that something as simple as a few kind words or a smile can go a long way. Just a memory but I thought I would comment on it. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 January 21 18:31 GMT (UK) »
RTL, those people with their friendly greetings probably don't even realise what a positive effect it has on people. When my grocery delivery arrives it's really good to get a driver who calls out a hello and smiles on their way up the drive. Of course I realise that everyone may have things going on in their own life that affect their behaviour and I appreciate the job they're doing but I do so appreciate the cheery ones.

Re the sprout soup, you've given me such a laugh!  ;D ;D   In my defence, the idea of it made me think of that cabbage we used to get at school that we used to call seaweed. It did look a lot like the stuff that heaps up on our beaches when there's been a storm.  :(  But I love sprouts with a dinner and am doing my best to put them high in the veg popularity charts.  :)

TY, I agree that the Rootschatters are a tremendous support. The first thing I read in the morning is not the news, it's the diary thread, it sets me up to deal with whatever bad news is waiting for me to read it.

Annette, would you be able to wrap up warmly and take a walk out (not to the bin!)? I can definitely recommend it, it doesn't have to be a long walk and I like the fact that I can at least say hello to people, albeit ones I don't know.

Viktoria, your medicine chest sounds like a box of torture! Can't have done you any harm I guess.  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 January 21 18:44 GMT (UK) »
R .T.L.we need all we can get.!
I should not like to travel as you do, in darkness and  it fills me with admiration that you do.

Many moons ago I came off shift at Mancheret’s Crumpsall Hospital as it was then North Manchester General now .It was Christmas Eve - of course!
I had to walk down the drive to Delauney’s Road, to get my bus.
Before the porter’s lodge was deep shrubbery ,a strange sound was coming from there .
We had on the Prem baby ward a tiny baby whose mother was syphilitic - ,babies of such women are often born with a copper coloured rash and a very high pitched cry .
It was a bit foggy,but I plucked up courage to investigate .
The noise became a bit louder, plus a sort of low growling . Taking a  chance I  clapped my hands and shouted “HEY !”
Spitting and growling two #£&&£@ big Tom cats flew out of the bushes ,they must have been in an eye balling set to.
But the fog did distorted the sound and I could imagine a poor little soul lying there ,and on Christmas Eve too!
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 January 21 18:56 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Your heart was in the right place Viktoria!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 January 21 19:24 GMT (UK) »