Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 9th January  (Read 1377 times)

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 9th January
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 January 21 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I read or watch the news once every day to keep informed but I find too much just makes me anxious. I used to have radio 4 on most of the time but at the start of the first lockdown I stopped and just listen to chosen programmes through iplayer as I couldn’t stand hearing the news over and over again every hour. It just made me very frightened and anxious.

I gather the information, I implement it in my life and I just try to get on with it. Life is a bit of a rollercoaster at the moment so we just have to hang on tight and ride it out.

I have tried to keep up with friends in various ways but I have to be in the right mood, some days you just don’t feel like talking as it makes you realise what you’re  missing.

I remember writing on Rootschat about two months into the first lockdown that it feels like when at school the whole class was punished for something a few had done ! Still does !

Anyway I’ve given myself a good shake and I’m taking a leaf out of Victoria’s book  ;)
I wish you would bottle and sell what you’re on Victoria  :)

I have so much to be thankful for and I truly count my blessings every day.

I leave you with a saying from my childhood growing up on in the West near Glasgow

‘Jist put yer heed soon n batter into it’  ;D :D

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 January 21 14:57 GMT (UK) »
RTL, you're such a positive person and it's good to hear that you enjoy your bus journeys rather than enduring them. A friendly and funny driver like your recent one must make the experience a happier one too, it's amazing how much a kind a friendly word can help. Thank you for your words of encouragement, it does help. Your walk to the bus stop home sounds precarious, hopefully it will have thawed today. I too hope that the rough sleeper had been found somewhere warm.

MH, as far as the news is concerned, I think the only time that the only time there would be any element of being irresponsible is if it was about the lockdown and you didn't heed what we were being advised in terms of keeping ourselves and others safe. As we know, you are highly unlikely to even contemplate that. I don't think it's a case of being irresponsible if you ignore the other news, more a case of damage limitation to yourself.
I hope things work out for your OH's son, these are such trying times for everyone in different ways.

OFG, I know what you mean about being in the right mood sometimes to talk to friends, when I feel as I did yesterday I avoid ringing people as I don't want to inflict my misery on them. Then when I do talk to them when I'm feeling better, if I mention that I was on a downer they tell me off for not ringing them! I think many of us are the same in that way, and if I'm at the other end of that I tell my friends off for not ringing me and talking through it! What strange creatures we human beings are!
I love your old saying. My heed is now doon ready for battering into it!  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 January 21 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mowsehowse,

I think you are fabulous too. :-*
I haven't got a slow cooker though and if I wanted a rice pudding I could easily heat up some from a tin in a couple of minutes.

Oh dear!  I hope I am not coming across as too contrary about your ideas.  8) Firstly, I vetoed the idea of sips of water on the bus .. then recently I couldn't bring myself to excuse Henry VIIIs behaviour on this thread.  In his time, not literally on this thread.  I don't want to confuse people into thinking that I think he is a diarist on here.   I'll admit I would gladly head up an army myself to overthrow him, if he was still around and I with the body of but a weak and  feeble woman and all that jazz, and now I am saying I can have rice pudding another way .. please forgive me Mowsehowse.. :P

Please remember though, I did enthuse on your grated red cabbage salad idea.  In fact, I have been eating a lot of this salad with everything lately.  I have had quite a bit of red cabbage and carrots to use up from Christmas, you see.  Think I might make a carrot and orange soup soon.  Ooh!  I think I also remember you said "pass" to my delicious brussel sprout soup!  (What a cheek!) :o I think that just about makes us even.

Roobarb I am on a day off today and I am sitting at home eating a plum and ginger crumble.  No snow where I live but cold weather not very enticing to go for a walk.  I am glad to hear you feel encouraged as you encourage others too .. albeit I think you were another who said "pass" to my delicious brussels sprouts soup  :o .. I'll overlook all this, I know these are crazy times we are living through and all that and you and Mowsehowse probably aren't quite able to think straight on what's good for you at the moment.  ;)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 January 21 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I decided right at the start of all this that it'd not be good for me to watch any late evening news, so although I usually catch the 6.00 one, I head out of the room and up for bed at 10.00, and I'm sure that was a good decision.
Many of you living on your own are, I know gaining a great deal of real companionship and support via the community / individuals on here. We are all interdependent, not independent, in the final analysis. I have great respect for people slogging through all this on their own, and value forums such as this for the help and companionship they can bring. There are some fantastic people on here, wonderful friends you've just not always met in the flesh, and they know and value you.
I'm fortunate, have OH, pets, house with decent sized garden. And I do know I am. I'm amazed at how well others cope, more isolated, worried about distant family, finance, security and health. I admire your guts and stoicism. Well done. We'll get there in the end ... wherever "there" is!

Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Another freezing day which seems set to continue for quite some time.   Have always hated this kind of cold at the best of times and somehow seems worse when you are 'confined to barracks'.   My 'outing' yesterday was a walk to the rear of our car park to deposit bag of rubbish in black bin.   My downstairs neighbour was working on his car so we chatted for a while until the cold had me scurrying back indoors.

Being one of the clinically vulnerable wondering when I'll get my covid jab - guessing probably mid February but time will tell.   Had a photo from my niece of baby Macy (the one who's home now) wearing one of the preemie jackets I'd knitted.  Says it fits her perfectly.  I'd better get on knitting some more I think.   Stopped knitting for a while since Christmas.   

Find that sometimes days aren't registering with me - didn't realise it was Saturday and consequently missed a tv programme I usually watch.  No matter, I'll watch it on catch-up.

Whatsapp link up with sister and friends on Sunday and will have our 'cousins' quiz on Wednesday.

Usual kind of day for me - still plodding on with current difficult jigsaw but won't let if defeat me.  Plus I must pick up my knitting needles again. 

Take care everyone.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Old sayings are a treasure trove of wisdom, and at the time I did not always appreciate my mother’s wisdom, “ Stop thinking about it and it will go away “
Not very helpful when your leg is hanging off!
Said for cuts and bruises to more serious stuff.
The alternative was THE MEDICINE  CHEST!
Oh No ,not The Medicine Chest.!
It’s contents knew nothing about sell or use by dates,consequently there was Iodine of a vintage that had it been champagne would have sold for a fortune.
Olive oil likewise.
Permanganate of Potash, bright purple when in water - Dad’s Trench feet .
Germolene that  should have been in the British Museum.
Sloan’s liniment .
And Wintergreen —— put that in sunburn and ##&&%#££&£ .
It could have been used to extract information from spies, “ Tell us what you know or it is The Wintergreen!!”
The medicine chest must have had magical properties ,given the instant cures just mention of its name  effected!
I have it still, in the shed with tools in it.

Hope everyone is well, and keeping cheerful.
There is still a lot to be thankful  for.

Momentous times!

Cheerio ,we need another “ daft “ topic, side splitting etc.
Viktoria.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I remember Wintergreen! I could put on a good turn of speed when I saw my Mum approach with it in her hand!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Wintergreen, great for relief of chilblains, it's still readily available.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Wintergreen, I can still smell  it

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London