Author Topic: Schools in the vacinity of Carrickmacross in late 1890s  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Elliespencer74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Schools in the vacinity of Carrickmacross in late 1890s
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to everyone who  replied to my queries re school in the Carrickmacross vicinity. Your suggestions gave me ideas and spurred me on to looking at the bigger picture and reflecting on the little I knew of these two great ladies.  I remember my American cousin telling me that Mary Ann ( her Granny) born in 1901 had talked about learning to make Irish lace at school and how much she enjoyed her time at the St Louis Convent.

I have since read that pupils at the Louis Primary school, were taught lace making, to equip them with a trade and means of earning a living when their education was complete. So I’ve come to the conclusion that Mary Ann and my granny Rose Anna both went to the Louis Primary.  This has raised questions on what year the St Louis Primary school first opened, the start age of Primary pupils,  what part of the cycle whilst at Primary would pupils learn to make lace,  at what age Primary pupils left school or moved onto the secondary education.

Was/is the St Louis Primary School school a fee paying school?

Many thanks. Ellie

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 17:56 GMT (UK) »
From the article I posted earlier:

“1888 three St. Louis Sisters came to Carrickmacross at the request of Dean Birmingham, and opened a small primary school. “

When I was searching, I read about the lace making so perhaps googling it might turn something else up.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliespencer74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Haywood, will google it. Ellie

Offline Elliespencer74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 January 21 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you,Hayman, Scotmum and KG.
With your help I have concluded that Rose and Mary did attend the St Louis Primary school, aged 4-12 years.  Along side the Primary School, the St Louis nuns built a lace school, which brought work to the town until the 1914 war, at which time the lace business ground to a halt. After the war several lace factories started up again in the area, but weren’t  managed by the convent.

I haven’t seen school records but assume they are archived somewhere, still hoping to find those, but with Covid, I  think my questions won’t be answered any time soon.  As before I appreciate your suggestions and support. Thank you, Ellie Spencer.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 January 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
There are some old pictures of the Convent (one mentions 'and schools', but doesn't detail where in picture), at the NLI website:

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000317552

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .