Author Topic: Reasons for Name Change  (Read 575 times)

Offline lauren28

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reasons for Name Change
« on: Sunday 10 January 21 15:47 GMT (UK) »
My third great auntie's name was written as Ermynmide on the Scotland census when she was young and on another record, there's no other records of her as Ermynmide afterwards as it now becomes Ermyntrude on all records. Why would her name have changed so slightly? Are the trude and mide suffixes interchangeable or did they just forget her name haha, because apparently she only went by "Auntie Ermyn"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Reasons for Name Change
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 21 16:08 GMT (UK) »
My third great auntie's name was written as Ermynmide on the Scotland census when she was young and on another record, there's no other records of her as Ermynmide afterwards as it now becomes Ermyntrude on all records. Why would her name have changed so slightly? Are the trude and mide suffixes interchangeable or did they just forget her name haha, because apparently she only went by "Auntie Ermyn"
I suspect a transcription error.

I just had a look at the census indexes on Scotland's People.

There are just three people in any census from 1841 to 1911 whose names begin with Ermyn....
Ermyntrude Rogers, 12, in 1901
Ermyntrude Milne, 14, in 1911
Ermynlinde Went.... Sarah, 22 in 1911.

There are no records of anyone called Ermynmide or Erminmide in any record on Scotland's People.

So are you using a transcription? If so, go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, register, invest in a few credits, use some of them to download the original census document (you will need to search using the name of another member of the family, obviously) and decide for yourself what the name is.

If you already have the orginal and you still think it reads Ermynmide, post it here and let us see what we make of it.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lauren28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 21 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I am assuming it was a transcription error as the record is just a transcript of the 1901 census on Ancestry, there is no image. Her name there is given as Ermynmide Cameron, and when she is older as Ermyntrude Cameron or Monks (married name). My nan remembered her name as Ermynmide though which is strange.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 21 19:42 GMT (UK) »
I am assuming it was a transcription error as the record is just a transcript of the 1901 census on Ancestry, there is no image.
There wouldn't be because Ancestry does not have the images. They are only available of Scotland's People.

Her name there is given as Ermynmide Cameron, and when she is older as Ermyntrude Cameron or Monks (married name). My nan remembered her name as Ermynmide though which is strange.
Now that is odd, becase neither SP nor the index at FindMyPast lists her at all.

And the only marriage of a Monks to a Cameron in the marriage index is Margaret Kirk Brown to James Cameron Monks in 1937.

Ancestry says that Ermynmide Cameron was born in Killin in 1893, parents John Angus Cameron and Janet Bain Grant. There is no birth of a child of that name in Killin in 1893. There is a birth of a child Jessie Jane Eremytrude in Strathfillan in 1892 to those parents, who were married in Helmsdale, parish of Kildonan, Caithness in 1889.

Can you tell us all the information in the transcription, please? Place, names of all occupants, ages?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lauren28

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 21 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Your information seems correct, her parents were John and Janet/Jessie and in her death certificate her name was written as Ermyntrude Jessie Jane Monks.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 21 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked at the original census to see whether the supposed 'change of name' is a transcription error?