Author Topic: How would soldiers receive instructions at end of period of leave?  (Read 651 times)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
How would soldiers receive instructions at end of period of leave?
« on: Sunday 10 January 21 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if I've asked this before (I thought I had, but can't find it here, nor can I find any notes I would have made). The soldier in question had left his REME unit in Eastbourne just before Christmas 1943, and travelled to his home in Newton Abbot, Devon. He then travelled to his girl-friend's home in Stourbridge, Worcestershire, and then left Birmingham at the end of his leave to join his Unit which had moved to Grove Ferry, near Canterbury. In the absence of emails and text messaging (& as far `s I know, the telephone), how would he have known that the location of his Unit had changed?
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: How would soldiers receive instructions at end of period of leave?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:19 GMT (UK) »
 :) OHMS telegram to first address that was redirected several times ?     That was the usual practice in NSW during WWII. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 January 21 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Telegram? They were frequently used for communication as not everyone had a 'phone. A lad on a bike would cycle to the house to deliver it.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 January 21 19:42 GMT (UK) »
JM - NSW? If you mean New South Wales in Australia, I should have made it clear that my soldier was in UK

I did wonder about telegram, but I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that there would be instructions at places like railway stations.
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 January 21 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Local police could be used as well if urgent and he had to be found.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 21 20:30 GMT (UK) »
JM - NSW? If you mean New South Wales in Australia, I should have made it clear that my soldier was in UK

I did wonder about telegram, but I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that there would be instructions at places like railway stations.

Yes,  NSW is one of 8 jurisdictions in Australia, and of course our soldiers were part of the British Empire, serving under allegience to the King, and Australia was only a Dominion and our Army regulations were based on English regs. 

:)

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 21 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I should add, an OHMS telegram in NSW had highest priority, and telegram boys (all employed by PMG department)  had to wait to check if any reply  was needed, hence it could quickly be redirected etc...

JM

:) OHMS telegram to first address that was redirected several times ?     That was the usual practice in NSW during WWII. 

JM

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 21 21:05 GMT (UK) »
To JM - one of our sons lives in Sydney, NSW, so I’m familiar with it. Although I know your Army regs were based on UK regs, I need to find evidence (anecdotal or in documentary form) of the actual practice where my soldier was, as I am writing a non-fiction book [yes MaxD and others - I’m still writing my book, although I’ve finished volume 1 (1943 letters) and am editing vol 2 (1944). I’m currently trying to find an agent willing to represent me]
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 January 21 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Well, may I please be added to your list of people interested in buying copies of your book. 

I wonder if your PMG or royal mail or the Railways  etc may have  archived their own regulations  from that era....

JM