Author Topic: Looking for a marriage between John Aston and Mary ?  (Read 634 times)

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a marriage between John Aston and Mary ?
« on: Sunday 10 January 21 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have searched for the marriage between John Aston and Mary, the parents of below children, which may have taken place between 1728 and 1731 to no avail.  At the moment it looks like they have only had two children: -

Christening
Event Date: 13 Aug 1732
Event Place: Old Swinford, Worcestershire, England
Event Place (Original): Old Swinford, Worcester, England
Name: Cornelius Ashton
Father's Name: John Ashton
Mother's Name:   Mary
Source: Family Search

Christening for Benjamin Aston
4 Apr 1735 • St. Mary's, Old Swinford, Worcester, England
Parents: John and Mary Aston. File Line No: 59
Source: FreeReg

I have come across a possible baptism for John Aston: -

John Aston
Baptism Date: 13 Mar 1709
Baptism Place: Broseley,Shropshire,England
Father: Emanuell Aston
Mother: Sarah
FHL Film Number: 897336

but still I couldn't find a marriage for John Aston and Mary in Shropshire or Worcestershire and I have looked via Ancestry, Family Search and FreeReg.  No luck. I do not have access to Find My Past, which I think, holds more records for Shropshire.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a marriage between John Aston and Mary ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 09:44 GMT (UK) »
When I looked on free reg for transcription records, there was nothing showing for 1710 to 1719 for Oldswinford St Mary.

Perhaps you can do some research to see if the records exist and have not yet been transcribed, or do not exist?

Added:
This is probably out-of-date but gives some pointers:
https://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~pjh/st_marys/info/records.html

F M P does have Old Swinford, cannot see marriage for John Ashton nor Aston.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 09:57 GMT (UK) »
There is this one

John  Aston on 20th January 1732  at Kingswinford to Mary Bradeley

Not got image, so cannot check.

Kingswinford is Staffordshire - suggest you look on a map for relevant places and not just stick to county boundaries.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 11:15 GMT (UK) »
If Benjamin married Ann GAUDEN 23 Mar 1761, St Mary, Oldswinford then he was of the Parish of Kingswinford**

Bapts St Mary, Kingswinford, Staffs to JOHN/MARY
MARGARET 3 Dec 1723
ELIJAH 11 Feb 1725/6
RICHARD 6 Mar 1737/8

So possible gap for others to be born Oldswinford, Worcs

Marriage;
02 Jan 1722/23, St Thomas, Dudley, Worcs
John ASTON of Kingswinford, Staffordshire*
Mary BOLUS of Stourbridge, Worcestershire
Married by license.

All on FreeREG

So more than I possible Marriage for John to a Mary.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:07 GMT (UK) »
There is this one

John  Aston on 20th January 1732  at Kingswinford to Mary Bradeley

Not got image, so cannot check.

Kingswinford is Staffordshire - suggest you look on a map for relevant places and not just stick to county boundaries.

Thanks and yes I have seen this one and its the FHL Film Number: 417203 (no image) and also a few links to this marriage on Ancestry, FreeReg and FS, some saying its Ann Bradeley and other, Mary Bradeley. Which is the correct wife?  :-\  Another reason why I'm not sure of the above marriage is that its too close to the birth of Cornelius who was baptised one 13 Aug 1732 at St Mary's, Old Swinford.

I have also seen this 28 Nov 1731 marriage between John Aston and Mary Price at St. Peter's, Herefordshire, but which St Peter's? Bromyard or Hereford? 

I have been looking at areas between Old Swinford and Broseley in Shropshire. The reason for me looking at areas between Old Swinford and Broseley is that my Dad's cousin remembered conversations about the Astons being originally came from Shropshire mining areas. From this, I'm assuming clay and coal mining were their continuing occupations from the 16th Century?

I have made notes of the possible marriages for when it is safer from Covid-19 virus, for me to go to either The Hive at Worcester or the Archives at Dudley for the day, both are over an hour's drive from me so hopefully will be able to view more details on them.

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 15:12 GMT (UK) »
If Benjamin married Ann GAUDEN 23 Mar 1761, St Mary, Oldswinford then he was of the Parish of Kingswinford**

Bapts St Mary, Kingswinford, Staffs to JOHN/MARY
MARGARET 3 Dec 1723
ELIJAH 11 Feb 1725/6
RICHARD 6 Mar 1737/8

So possible gap for others to be born Oldswinford, Worcs

Marriage;
02 Jan 1722/23, St Thomas, Dudley, Worcs
John ASTON of Kingswinford, Staffordshire*
Mary BOLUS of Stourbridge, Worcestershire
Married by license.

All on FreeREG

So more than I possible Marriage for John to a Mary.

Thanks. I only have this for Benjamin Aston and he was baptised: 4 Apr 1735 • St. Mary's, Old Swinford, Worcester, England
Parents: John and Mary Aston. File Line No: 59

Cornelius Aston is my 6th great, grandfather who appears to be the only brother of Benjamin. This seems to indicate that either John or Mary died shortly after Benjamin was born hence no more children that I could see... I have not looked up records for Benjamin yet so do not have any marriage records, etc for him.

Regarding the 02 Jan 1722/23, St Thomas, Dudley, Worcs marriage of John Aston and Mary Bolus, I will need to double check this and the baptisms of other children who were baptised at Kingswinford. It seems strange to have the first few children baptised at Kingswinford then the middle two baptised at Old Swinford then have the last child baptised at Kingswinford.

It would depends on where John Aston was working, I suppose. I got the impression from my Dad's cousin that the Astons moved to Aston's Fold, Hay Green, Lye from Shropshire as they were clay/coal miners.

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 January 21 16:14 GMT (UK) »

I had left John Aston and Mary to work on another line of the Aston family Tree, which has led me to Benjamin and Ann, which I think are the same couple as you've mentioned above, only if they have these children?: -

Joseph bpt: 7 Feb 1762
Phoebe bpt: 25 Sept 1763
Esther bpt: 22 Dec 1765
John bpt: 25 Dec 1767
Ann bpt: 3 June 1770
Mary bpt: 30 May 1773
Sarah bpt: 9 July 1775
Susannah bpt: 1779

All were baptised at St. Mary's, Old Swinford, Worcestershire.

If yes, then John bpt: 25 Dec 1767 married Martha Walker
on 25 Dec 1790 at St. Mary's Old Swinford, Worcestershire, England
Groom: John Aston, Bachelor. Bride: Martha Walker, Spinster both from the parish of St. Mary's. Witness 1: Benjamin Walker. Witness 2: Nancy Wellans. Register Entry No: 581. Source: FreeReg

John and Martha's daughter, Mary Martha Aston baptised on 15 Mar 1795 at Old Swinford,Worcester,England married John Aston (bpt on 6 Jul 1794 at Old Swinford, Worcester, England) of Aston's Fold on 27 Jun 1814 at St. Mary'S, Kingswinford, Stafford, England. 

This means John Aston (b: 1794) and Mary Martha Aston (b: 1795) were cousins?