Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 10th January  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 10th January
« on: Sunday 10 January 21 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Felt better today after reading the kind and supportive words from other Rootschatters, they really motivated me. Was reading my book for quite a while this morning and it was midday by the time I went out for a walk. No frost today, it was a balmy five degrees but some puddles still had ice in them and it felt quite chilly. Grey skies and still muddy everywhere, came back the same way as I'd gone through the woods then a longer return through the streets.

Was really hungry when I got home, didn't know what to do for lunch, ended up frying a couple of leftover new potatoes and an egg, had some pickled beetroot with it. An apple to follow as usual.

Started on my art class homework, needed masking fluid, I used to have some but couldn't find it anywhere, it probably dried up and got thrown away. Looked for some online, it was quite a challenge to find some that was a reasonable price and would come quite quickly. Spent ages on it and eventually settled for one at a decent price that might arrive before Friday. I don't have to have it but I really wanted to do this painting.

Didn't do a lot with the rest of the day, put some washing in including the jeans I'd worn for my walk, the mud splashes were up to my knees. The weather is making a lot of laundry for me. Curry for tea, watched the Great Pottery Throwdown, new series.

Hope it's been a decent day for everyone.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 10th January
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 21 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes Roobarb,just idled through it really, bath,hair wash, and a chicken from the butcher’s with usual trimmings for tea.
Very nice, did it in a roasting bag as I really gave the oven a thorough clean last time I cleaned the big one.,last week.
Things are tender and moist in them.
Spoke with number two son ,I mentioned some Comic books they used to get in Belgium ,it followed in from watching  the Marine  and Spurs match .
Some of those comics,Tin Tin ,Suske and  Wiske were very educational and he recounted to me Das Rheingold , from those comics when he was about ten.

Some now go for many hundreds of pounds ,mostly because there were only
five stories.
Ooompapa ,was one, a  Native  American Indian ,during our war with France in Canada !Montcalm and Wolf etc .
A French iOfficer very effete ,was surely where Michael Cain got his idea for  the character  of the officer Broomhead in Zulu.

Queer happenings in the US ,what is Trump up to ?
He has made his own country - weeeel?- a laughing stock.

Not seen any news today ,so wondering re figures etc.
Did a bit more to a fiendish jig saw, spoke with number one son re him getting me some sealant and little bulbs for a couple of bedside touch lamps,
Handy just to tap and not have to search for a switch,one bulb has died.
He is very good.
Cheerio everyone , “ speak “ to you tomorrow,
Viktoria,

a thorough clean last time

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 21 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb- glad to hear that you felt better and were able to get out for your walk.. seems so much more important these days for us all...
I’m intrigued to hear what your new painting is going to be....
I’d quite forgotten about the new Pottery Throwdown... I knew there was something new staring...Landscape Artist starting on 15th I think...
I had OH going through Netflix as there’s a film of the book The White Tiger coming ... he said couldn’t find it then realised its not out till 22nd!

Viktoria- your days are wonderfully full of reminisces .... I’m always staggered at your memory and descriptions....
Good to hear you have lovely conversations with your children...
You keep all our spirits up with your anecdotes too... thank you!

Our weather was much better ( yesterday now) milder a warm 4C! No fog or dampness thankfully...
Was up quite late busy reading the Sue Townsend book...
The Sunday papers seem to get thinner every week! Few articles in the magazines worth reading...
Decided we’d go for a walk late morning so set off over the road and at the bottom of the hill it’s turn right shorter walk through one village ( well it’s a couple of farms and perhaps a dozen houses!) then up through the field back to the road and home  or turn right walk a big loop through two other villages eventually bringing you out into village mentioned in beginning and back up through the field and home which is about six miles... that was the option we chose... there were quite a few people out walking in fact we past a couple on horse back and another couple twice! Although the temperature was warmer I still had about 4 layers under my coat and didn’t feel to warm at any time!
Very late lunch by the time we got home...
Relaxed for a while before daughter FaceTimed us...
They’d been out on their bikes to Syon House then walked round the lake... had to pay to go ... think it’s RHS place but she said not many people so better than other places...
Boys busy playing junior scrabble and youngest J told us he was winning!
Their home schooling this first week has been full on as lessons for eldest T just like normal school day and they spend the night before going through everything for next day printing off all necessary bits so it’s all at hand... youngest J ( in reception) has several tasks he must do and then optional ones which he does too.. both their teachers are on the ball and very good... the eldest T’s teacher has set up small zoom groups of children in the class once a week so they can see their class mates and will rotate... good idea...
all this of course means mum and dad doing half day each and at least they’ve got three lap tops so boys can use one each and one adult can do their work too! Only thing daughter worries about is amount of time they’re looking at screens...
Does lift our spirits when we can see them though and boys have got very used to chatting on screen now...
dinner was roast chicken... like Viktoria cooked in a bag as seals in juices and less messy in the oven!
Watched some tv... both felt tired so early night...

Hope everyone else has had a better day ... weather perhaps looking up for the coming week and not so cold...
Stay safe and warm!
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 21 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Well I don't know what happened there, but my whole epistle disappeared!
Nothing much of great interest anyway.  ;)
Have a good day all.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 January 21 11:30 GMT (UK) »

They’d been out on their bikes to Syon House then walked round the lake... had to pay to go ... think it’s RHS place but she said not many people so better than other places...

I think it belongs to the Duke of Northumberland but RHS & HHA members get concessions.  It is used quite often for filming period dramas as is nearby Osterley.   I prefer the gardens at Syon Park to Osterley and of course there are Kew Gardens on the other side of the River Thames.  It is certainly a good area to be able to access and I look forward to being able to visit them again.  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 January 21 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Mowsehowse!I am now consumed with curiosity !
Well thought l would ,as my Mum would say “ shape myself” so got up earlier this morning .Not telling you the exact time  ::)
Shock ,horror when I got downstairs, more than two hours later than I thought ,then remembered son had phoned yesterday re the funny little bulbs needed for the bedside touch lamps . In looking at the base I knocked the little clock off ,don’t know what happened but it must have stopped for two hours then started again .
Well no plans except I hoped to get washing on the line but raining again,I can hang it indoors on a big maiden,but love to have it on the line.
It can wait.
I will send some money to grandchildren ,both furloughed and my grandson Flash Harry’s Daddy and Mummy will need the house warm for the tiddler.
Grand daughter has been baking to order but not sure now ,they are all in Suffolk so delivery etc is a problem if the rules are strictly kept .
She can swot for her last exam.
Going to reorganise the freezer ,get rid of those little packets that in my arrogance I did not label,thinking “ I will remember what that is!”
Spoilt for choice re evening meal, another roast dinner albeit with cold chicken or a nice Coronation chicken and salad meal.
Decisions,decisions,all the time decisions!
We had a lovely friend ,totally indecisive ,in a restaurant - ages to make up her mind ,even a coffee bar,we used to say “Are you having tea or coffee or shall we ask ———-( her husband) ?”
Well this is not getting on. Cheerio .
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 January 21 12:47 GMT (UK) »

I think it belongs to the Duke of Northumberland but RHS & HHA members get concessions.  It is used quite often for filming period dramas as is nearby Osterley.   I prefer the gardens at Syon Park to Osterley and of course there are Kew Gardens on the other side of the River Thames.  It is certainly a good area to be able to access and I look forward to being able to visit them again.  :)

They are NT members too and cycle to Osterley from their home as it’s within easy reach as is Kew and they have a family membership there too... it’s there go to place and the boys know their way around very easily... able to get away from people which is of course the main thing to do! With energetic boys steam needs to be run off or could be mayhem at home!

CAroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 January 21 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes Victoria I have lots of UFOs in my freezer too  :)

Unidentified Frozen Objects  :D

I always think I will remember what it is but don’t. I try to label things but often the labels come off, must get some proper freezer labels that have better adhesive.

Last week i defrosted some sausages from the farm shop which I thought were pork and some left over gravy which I thought was beef.

Both turned out to be lamb which was a happy accident  :)

It’s amazing the things that make you happy these days  ;)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 January 21 14:07 GMT (UK) »
We have a Kew membership too, mainly used by OH but I do go sometimes.  They normally have an orchid festival in February which we attend, not this year though.  Have also been to an open air concert there, it rained  ::)

I am also guilty of having unidentified objects in my freezer though generally spag bol or chilli con carne that I have cooked in 'bulk'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk