Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 10th January  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 10th January
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 January 21 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Another freezing day although didn't feel quite as cold that night.

Had a 3pm link up with sister and friend which lasted around an hour - good to chat.   Just before then had received a call from my cousin in Dorset and had a good gossip with her.   Rest of day watching tv, jigsaw and picked up my needles again!

Something I've wanted for a few years has been a camel coat.   Whenever I saw one I liked it was far too expensive for me to justify.  A few weeks before Christmas I saw one I liked which, in a sale, was a good price.   Duly ordered it, loved the look and it fitted like a dream.   Needless to say, it's still hanging in it's cover, unworn and heaven only knows when I'll finally be able to go out somewhere nice and wear it.  The way things are going maybe not until next winter!!

Roobarb - the reason I haven't gone for a walk is that I live in a built up area just outside town centre.   There are a lot of 'foreigners' (mainly east European) living in the area who a) refuse to wear masks and b) do not conform to the guidelines in any way.  One of them rents a property in our own block of flats and is of the 'brigade' who say this is all a hoax.  They are always walking around/standing together in large groups and quite frankly I'm too scared to come into contact with them.

I like the sound of 'UFO's in freezers!

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 January 21 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I'm really impressed by your six mile walks, when you decide to go for a walk you certainly go for it! Good to hear that you daughter is managing to keep the boys occupied, it does sound like they have all sorts of interests.

MH, what a shame your epistle disappeared, I too am consumed by curiosity. Any chance of some minor highlights?  ;)

Viktoria, you comment about hanging the washing on a big maiden has made me laugh at the thought of you draping your washing on a buxom wench.  ;D ;D I know that's not what you mean, no doubt it's some sort of clothes airer but it's given me a giggle.  :D

OFG and Rosie, I too have had UFOs in the freezer in the past, I now put the food container inside a plastic bag with a piece of paper with the details of what it is, no chance of the label disappearing.

Annette, how infuriating and upsetting to have your movements curtailed by people who think it's a hoax. Why do they think so many people are in hospital? Oh yes, because some idiot has posted on social media a picture of a an empty hospital ward. The fact that it was in 2012 and not even here but in Guantanamo Bay doesn't stop them from promoting such rubbish. I'm sorry that you are affected in this way by such idiots.  >:(

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 January 21 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thinned down rubber solution, Roobarb, gently and carefully applied will do for a masking fluid in an emergency - I've used it in the past!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 January 21 18:01 GMT (UK) »
MH - do come back and try again pleeeease! Like others I’m curious now as to what you wrote!

Annette- you must feel like banging their heads together and it’s so inconsiderate of them to make you fearful of going out for fresh air and exercise.... they must be like ostriches and have their heads buried in the sand!
You camel coat sound lovely and something to look forward to wearing in the future... at least they don’t go out of fashion and it’ll last you years 😀
BTW I didn’t post replies from the other day but delighted to hear your gt. nieces are doing well and will keep fingers X that Darcys out of hospital soon...

Rosie - did you go to see the Dale Chihuly exhibition in 2019 at Kew? Tge boys went on numerous occasions that by the time we went with them in October we didn’t need a guide as they told us all about it! They even made their own versions to hang round their garden!

My freezer is full of UFO’s... once when staying with my daughter, leaving O.H at home I got him a UFO out and told him it was a casserole.... when talking to him later I asked if he’d enjoyed it and he said the gravy was very tasty and he’d had to cook some sausages to go with it.. 😂😂 now I use black marker and write on the lids!

Roobarb- oh yes when we go for a walk we go for a walk! Another one tomorrow if weathers ok 🥶🥶

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 January 21 18:18 GMT (UK) »
TY, thanks for the tip, unfortunately I don't have any rubber solution and have to admit I don't even know what it would normally be used for! The good news is that I got an email today to say that the masking fluid is on its way.
Forgot to say Caroline, the subject is Sunlight through trees, to be done in watercolour and pencil. After painting the sunlit trees in yellow, when dry you then put masking fluid over it and paint the background in a slightly greyed down colour. It allows you to maintain the colour of the trees.
This is only the homework piece, not the next project.

Love the story of the gravy.  ;D ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 January 21 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, a clothes maiden was / is a folding thing ,two halves usually hinged where they join.
Horizontal slats ,usually three on each half.
They fold flat.
However mine is not one of that type, they are very old from Victorian days but many households still have them.
Mine drops flat when a grooved ledge is lifted .
It has many little horizontal bars ,is metal whilst the old fashioned ones were / are wood, often they are referred to as clothes horses.
For wet washing and for airing ironed clothes.
Son is trying to get me some gadgets to fix a mirror to the bedroom wall ,it is about four feet long and 18 inches deep, I want it to run horizontally above a pair drawers of that are next to each other which serve as my dressing table, I got rid of one that I could sit at,but never did!So lots if lost storage space.
My son goes to the nth degree! I am already fed up!

I will have to fix the mirror as he does not come in, or I might wait “ until this is all over!”  ::)
Daughter phones this evening ,for a good while .
Wonder what Flash Harry has been up to.
Daddy is doing the home schooling as Mummy is still a key worker at the Nursery attached to the school.where she works.
Rain again today, but oh for some fresh air.
I meant to sort out the freezer today but not sure what happened.

I still have my sister in law’s and niece’s Christmas presents from last year
still here ,the sellotape us giving up!
They usually come in early January and we have a  Christmas  dinner again
but of course eyes on Jan 10th  put paid to that.
So two years of presents to be opened.
She is the only one left of my husband’s family and the one who looked after my mother in law for fourteen years in her home and before that in M in Law’s home,which was next door .Forty plus years altogether, but M in Law lived to the age of 105.
Well no real news from me ,but that can be a good thing!
Look after yourselves , and thanks for the news .
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 January 21 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Like I said, it was REALLY boring.
Freezing fog at dawn, obscured the Berry Head light.
That eventually gave way to bright sunshine.
Took a walk down the cliffwalk and along the front.
Read some of Robert Galbraith's latest Cormoran Strike novel.
Watched the first installment of Bridgerton, with which I was not particularly impressed.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Sounds a lot like most of my days MH! No getting up to mischief then.  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Told you it was boring!  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.