Author Topic: John Elder(mealer) at Agnes Hill Resolis(c1828).  (Read 1867 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Elder(mealer) at Agnes Hill Resolis(c1828).
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 January 21 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm thinking that if it's from the 1828 baptism it must surely be his occupation, not his lodging arrangements.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 January 21 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you shaun. I like that one scoosh. Anyway  I'll try not to confuse myself, easier said than done. Mary Paterson was  born/baptised 1792 , so I'm looking for John Elder born about the same time and place the one that fits is  John Elder 1792  Resolis  Father John Elder, mealer Mother Isobel McKeddy my only problem with this is John Elder and Mary Paterson didn't name a child Isobel.        1,   Jane 1820, the mother is said to be HELEN but I have no doubt it's Mary.           The second child is also Jane 1822,   Jane after Marys mother Jean Bremner.            3,  John 1824 .   4, Donald 1826, after Marys father.              5,  and mine  Charles 1828  , don't know where this comes from,     6 Margaret 1830.      7, Donald. all born Resolis. any help solving this will be much appreciated. stay home stay safe. nikitah.                           

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 January 21 19:59 GMT (UK) »
It's never safe to assume that the only possible candidate is the right one. There are so many people whose baptisms are missing from the surviving records that you can never be sure.

If they followed the naming pattern you'd expect John's parents to be John and Margaret.

Have you got the original baptisms of all the children? Are the witnesses named, and if so do they offer any clues?

But I think you are in luck. I see that Margaret Elder, mother's maiden surname McKeddie, died in Rosemarkie in 1873 aged 80.

In the 1871 census Margaret Elder, aged 83, is living in the household of her nephew Donald Elder, 34, his widowed mother Mary Elder, 78 and sister Jane, 50, all born in Resolis.

So I think you can indeed be fairly confident that your John Elder was indeed the son of John Elder and Isobel McKeddy. Get a copy of Margaret's death certificate just to be sure.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 January 21 20:27 GMT (UK) »
There is an Isabel Elder age 12 on that 1841 Census transcription(reply #2).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 January 21 21:28 GMT (UK) »
@ nikitah, is that Belmaduthy? Knockbain parish.

Skoosh.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 15:28 GMT (UK) »
 Thank you for all your replies, as usual you've all come up trumps. Forfarin I'll go and get that death certificate. skoosh sorry for the little c  ;D , I'll go and check that spelling then get back to you. Ev your right I missed that. catch you all in a bit , keep safe, nikitah. 

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 20:04 GMT (UK) »
  Skooosh  it doesn't look like a B I would say a C and either - a or - o-or - u, following,  definitely Knockbain.       Forfarian I got the death certificate and its as you said, sadly she died in the poorhouse a pauper. I also have the deaths for the only 2 John Elders in Resolis that fit the time line , possibly father and son, as you know they don't give much detail . 1, John Elder died at G---- of Raddery on the fifteenth and was buried at Rosemarkie on the 16 October 1841 in the 79th year of his age.      2,   John Elder tenant at Wester Raddery died there on the 31st of May1821 and buried in the church yard at Rosemarkie in the 54th year of his age . all from Scotlanspeople. keep safe, nikitah   

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Also on 1841 FreeCEN -
Agneshill , Resolis , Ross & Cromarty.
Isabel Elder 50
Margaret Elder 40
(Widow) Elder 80
All born Ross & Cromarty.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 09:34 GMT (UK) »
When John married Mary Paterson  he was said to be a servant at Calmaduthy
is that Belmaduthy? Knockbain parish.
it doesn't look like a B I would say a C and either - a or - o-or - u, following,  definitely Knockbain
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.57629&lon=-4.26385&layers=5&b=1 shows Belmaduthy in the parish of Knockbain. There is nowhere similar in Knockbain beginning Ca... or Co... or Cu... in the index to the Ordnance Survey Name Books.

Why not post the extract that is difficult to read and let us have a look at it?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.