Author Topic: Origin of the name De Winton in Radnorshire  (Read 1260 times)

Offline LAURIE81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Origin of the name De Winton in Radnorshire
« on: Monday 11 January 21 17:22 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered a family member with the name Price Meredith De Winton Evans (1903-1957) and was curious as to where the 'De Winton' originated. I have gone back several generations on both sides of the family but have yet to find any other De Winton. All his siblings had unusual names so maybe they were just history buffs of the Norman conquest??

Grateful for any info,
Laurie
Mackinnon Macpherson Barron Macleod

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Origin of the name De Winton in Radnorshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 January 21 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Not necessarily a family name. The census shows that the De Winton family (or Wilkins) were local landowners, and one was the MP for Radnor. So perhaps employers of your family, or supporters in some other way?

http://history.powys.org.uk/history/hay/maes3.html

People were often named out of respect for the local gentry.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 January 21 18:17 GMT (UK) »
check thepeerage.com for origins and connections by marriage and descendancy.  Local to me, the Montgomerys, Setons, and Wintons and Eglintons are all of a mixture.  Wyntoun, also shows up in old documents. The older part of Ardrossan in North Ayrshire was largely built by the Earls of Eglinton ( the Montgomeries) and we have Montgomery Street, Seton Street, Winton Street and Eglinton Road.  I believe the Seton name came from marriage in the East of Scotland, Edinburgh and the Kingdom of Fife.  I don't know how the Winton name came into the group but probably a dynastic marriage somewhere.   Cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline LAURIE81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 January 21 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. All his siblings had unusual names, Ebenezer and Gildas being just two of them!  so I'm thinking it came from the local history or area.
I'll keep digging.
Mackinnon Macpherson Barron Macleod

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 11:26 GMT (UK) »
According to Wikipedia Gildas the Wise is Romano -British monk of the 6th Century ( Celtic / Welsh )
and Ebenezer is Hebrew for ' Stone of Help '
The Montgomeries were of Norman French origins before stealing parts of Britain, which they still hold. Just saying.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.