Author Topic: Sarah Helena Boulger Born 10 Aug 1884 in Kings County (Offaly)  (Read 274 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Helena Boulger Born 10 Aug 1884 in Kings County (Offaly)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »
She listed her older sister, Georgina Scardefield, who lived in New York on the ship's manifest, but she went almost directly to Kansas where she married her fiance less than a month later.

Here is a marriage for Georgina, daughter of William, a clerk of Works as per census posted but she marries Richard Tyndall.   :-\

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1882/10976/8012300.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:32 GMT (UK) »
As far as birth registation goes everything is still pointing to the 1875 birth found earlier-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1875/03081/2129791.pdf

Catholic parents usually baptised their children very soon after birth but I found that Sarah's brother Henry William was baptised in 1881 when he was 2 years old. Baptismal register gives brthdate as 21 Mar.1879 but William & Elizabeth registered a son Henry Charles born 21 Apr.1878.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline luckytobeirish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:36 GMT (UK) »
That's true, Heywood.
Georgina (Maria Georgina) was married 3 times. The last time was to Frank Scardefield.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:37 GMT (UK) »
She left 3 months after her father's death in Dublin (where his death document shows she was present)

Death of William Boulger - informant Sarah H
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1908/05488/4537056.pdf

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 15:21 GMT (UK) »
It is difficult to be sure but you have several records.
You have the parents, her sister Georgina and her fatherís death.
Does the marriage in Kansas give any parental details?

Alicia/Alice was born 1864.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03617/2335012.pdf

Her marriage just shows Ďfull ageí.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1897/10443/5802965.pdf

1901 - she is 29 yrs  (abt 1872)
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Kingstown/York_Street/1319735/

1911 - 44 yrs -nearer her true age
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Wood_Quay/Bride_Street/63598/

Offline luckytobeirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the marriage information along with family oral history confirms that her parents were definitely William Boulger and Eliza Bryne. They had 8 other children: William Jr, Edmond Joseph, Maria Georgina, Alice Maud, Mary Harriett, Elizabeth, John, Henry William (Charles).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »
From all the evidence both here and on the older thread (much of it duplicated here) everything points to Sarah Helena Bougler being the daughter of William Boulger & Elizabeth Byrne born 1875 in Co, Kildare and registered as Sarah Jane. The fact that a baptism has not yet been found may be due to several factors (parents mixed marriage, other siblings had delayed baptisms & name changes, living in a different area (perhaps moved to Johnstown from Dublin not long before her birth)).
It looks as though Sarah is the Helena Sarah living in Londonderry City in 1901 as a ladyís nurse. Her sister Harriet was also a nurse (such a position would have needed little or no formal training). Her age isnít too far out and the 2 Christian names she later used in America are here.
It may be that the family only stayed in Johnstown a few years before moving to Dublin which would explain confusion with Sarahís place of birth. She may have also adjusted her year of birth to appear younger both for employment reasons, immigration reasons & to her husband (was be perhaps born after 1875?). In any case, such a thing is not uncommon.
You will likely have a good paper trail from the time Sarah left Ireland (passenger lists, marriage certificate, census records, Social Security file (not just the extract online), death certificate. Not sure how consistent age is in later records but it certainly varies from birth certificate to 1901 census. The one unfortunate thing is the day & month of birth on birth certificate quite different from S.S. recorded birthdate.
One possible reason might be that the date of birth on birth certificate is incorrect. It records birth as 9 Sept.1875 and registration as 22 Dec.1875. You now have 3 months to file a birth registration (canít remember what it would have been in 1800s but think registering an early August birth at the end of December would have incurred a fine).
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1875/03081/2129791.pdf
The online R.C. parish register for Kill stops at 1880 for baptisms- I looked page by page 1875-1880 but couldnít see one for Sarah but perhaps it was also a late baptism.
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0710
The fact that the name, birthplace & birthdate fr Sarah in the S.S. record matches what you have noted as a baptismal record from a now forgotten source makes me wonder if you found that transcribed somewhere else (perhaps an online tree) and took it to be a baptism record.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline luckytobeirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Adhadowey,

This historical information was new to me and extremely helpful. Thanks very much for taking the time to flesh it out so thoroughly.

It was particularly useful to know why a family might change a birth date (fine for not registering w/in 3  months) and that "nursing" didn't require education. Also, your thought about the possible nursing connection between Harriet and Sarah was very insightful.

Since I read your most recent post today, I've been looking at the siblings' birth, baptism, and marriage information to see if there's any more information to gain there.

Thanks so much for taking time to go through the RC baptisms in Kill. I'm going to continue to see when and where Sarah might have been baptized. A baptismal record could confirm the parents' religions and possibly Sarah's middle name and, with that, I'd have the documentation to confirm Sarah Helena's birth. If not, hopefully the paper trail you mentioned might be sufficient.

I think the chances are high that the 1875 birth of Sarah Jane is Sarah Helena, even though her birth is a full 9 years before she later claimed she was born and, assuming this is Sarah Helena who immigrated to the US, a full 11 years older than her husband.

I do wish I could find the birth information for the Sarah Bolger from the 1901 census who was born about 1884 in Kings County, but it sounds like it's going to be both unrealistic that I'll find it and unnecessary at this point. I appreciate Heywood's help on seeking information on this possibility as well as on many other avenues of information that he/she explored for me.

Thanks again for all the new and very useful insights.