Author Topic: Sarah Helena Boulger Born 10 Aug 1884 in Kings County (Offaly)  (Read 849 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Helena Boulger Born 10 Aug 1884 in Kings County (Offaly)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 09:00 GMT (UK) »
This has all gotten very, very confusing and I'm not sure exactly who or what you are actually looking for.
Here's the latest Sarah Boger's birth- Co. Dublin and parents Patrick & Bridget (not King's Co. and parents William & Elizabeth as in the original post)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02725/2002540.pdf

Could you please explain exactly who you are trying to find so that we can help. If you are starting with a relative then what details do you already have and what gaps are you trying to fill in?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline luckytobeirish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 13:07 GMT (UK) »
The only thing I am needing now is documentation of the birth on 10 August 1884 of a Sarah Boulger in Kings County born to William Boulger and Eliza Byrne of Co Wicklow. She may be the same Sarah Boulger listed in the 1901 census.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Arran_Quay/Oxmantown_Road/1335472/

The specific date of 10 August, 1884 matches the date she gave for her birthday later in her life.
She always said was the baby of the family, born long after most of her siblings.

Again, the Sarah Helena Boulger I'm looking for may be the Sarah Jane Boulger that was born in Co Kildare/Naas in 1875, but the name listed is Sarah Jane and the month and year don't fit the date she listed in documents later in her life.

She may have lied about her year of birth, but in order to determine which is correct (Co Kildare 1876 or Kings Co 1884), I need to find the Kings Co document.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Presumably the record you previously found was a baptism certificate. Was it a transcription or a copy of the parish record?
Civil registration dates are not always reliable as there was a limited time to register so the dates could be manipulated. They would only be out by days/weeks though.

If your lady used Helen, it might have been her confirmation name or just her fancy to use it.

What is the earliest record you have for Sarah?
What age is she on that?
Does she keep the same year of birth through the various records you have ?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 13:35 GMT (UK) »
IF Sarah Helena Boulger was born in Ireland 10 Aug.1884 there should be a birth registration so initially I thought a baptismal record more likely the document you found (Ellen is a more common form of the middle name but Helena could easily appear in a baptism register).

However, I found a U.S. Social Security record for a Sarah Helena Smith born 10 Aug.1884 in Kildare Republic of Ireland, parents- William Boulger & Elizabeth Bourne. Could THIS be the record you found before?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Good find, aghadowey.   :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 13:46 GMT (UK) »
A Sarah H Boulger, age 28 (born c1880) departed on the Oceanic from Queenstown, Ireland on 5 Nov.1908 for New York.
The Oceanic arrived in N.Y. on the 11th Nov.1908 and the manifest gives more details- Sarah H. Boulger, 28, single, servant, able to read & write, last residence- Maryborough Ireland; mother- Elizabeth Bougler, 27 _ Quay Maryborough; going to sister in N.Y. (hard to read) Mrs? L? Sch_? of 229 West 223rd St.; place of birth- Dublin Ireland.

Offline luckytobeirish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey,
Yes, that was a good find. I do have that Social Security record and that was the document I referred to when I said that later in life she listed her birth as 10 August, 1884.

The ship's manifest in 1908 is the right Sarah H Boulger too. She left 3 months after her father's death in Dublin (where his death document shows she was present) to immigrate to the US to marry her fiance. She listed her older sister, Georgina Scardefield, who lived in New York on the ship's manifest, but she went almost directly to Kansas where she married her fiance less than a month later.

During her life, she did list slightly different years of birth (at immigration, would have been about 1880), but 1884 was the most consistent year given. There's at least 1 mistake on the ship's manifest. The address of 27 Essex Quay was actually in Dublin. The family had previously lived in Maryborough and Sarah may have been living there when she immigrated.

If I remember right, the document I found a long time ago about the Kings Co Sarah Boulger birth was a actual copy of the baptismal record.

I got an official copy of the Sarah Jane Boulger (Kildare, 1876) registration a year ago at the GRO office in Dublin.
I'd like to get the Kings Co Sarah Boulger birth documentation to see if a middle name is listed and to gain any other information listed about that Sarah Boulger's parents.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Continuing with the above Sarah Helena-
Possibly her parents William & Elizabeth with other children in 1901-
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Queen_s_Co_/Maryborough_Urban/Stradbally_Road/1649697/

Looks like marriage (1903) for daughter of William & Elizabeth-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1903/10237/5725466.pdf

Still tying when you posted but will put this up anyway.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I think we have all looked for that 1884 birth or baptism document with no luck.  You really need to try and remember where you saw it.

Debra  :)