Author Topic: Morrisons & Sainsbury ban shoppers without face masks  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morrisons & Sainsbury ban shoppers without face masks
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I see far too many people in shops who pull their mask down to talk on their mobile phones  >:(

Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Tesco, Asda and Waitrose have now joined in.

BBC News - Tesco, Asda and Waitrose ban shoppers without face masks
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55633843
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 16:54 GMT (UK) »
When IO realised I was going to have to make masks for self and OH to get proper fits, I splashed out on 50 metal strips, for nose-bridging, and metres and metres of firm but soft elastic from Am*z*n. They came really promptly, weren't expensive, and did the job very well.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I went to my local Morrisons this morning, a sign outside read "no face covering - no entry". Some were wearing masks, others wearing visors so either seems to be acceptable. 

However, a few were not wearing any kind of face covering.  They may be exempt due to medical issues or they just took them off after they passed by the security guard on the door.  Two young men were going around the store wearing their masks as chin warmers, shouting across the aisles to each other.  They then spent quite a while at the cooked chicken counter talking very loudly to the girl serving (she had her mask on).  No one approached them to remind them that they need to wear their masks properly while they are shopping - not just when they walk through the door!
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 17:30 GMT (UK) »
One of the middle aged women filling "concession" displays at a large Supermarket currently priding itself on making masks compulsory, the other day was wearing hers as a necklace, and sneezed copiously over a couple of young assistants employed by the store!! They were correctly masked, and didn't deserve that ignorant treatment.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 17:50 GMT (UK) »
If only people would just be sensible

She should be reported and sacked

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 18:40 GMT (UK) »
The problem that the supermarkets have is that their staff have got a lot of abuse when mentioning the issue of masks to some people who are not wearing them. We can only hope that the majority will keep them on.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

The main problem with the exemption rule is proof. If someone says they are exempt you have to accept that. Shop staff cannot demand to see proof, mainly because those people are not required to carry proof. In fact, last year you could download an exemption card online.

Only the police can enforce the wearing of masks or other face coverings. But how far will they go, I asked daughter about this. She says " the police can request medical records if it is in the public interest or if it is in the course of preventing or detecting a serious crime ". They would be limited to that information pertaining to their inquiries.

So if the police are called to a shop for one person maybe they would do this. But multiple people in multiple shops would waste too many men and hours. So they would just send these people on their way, to presumably offend again in a different shop.

John915

PS. daughter is on her final year of a law degree at the OU.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

The main problem with the exemption rule is proof. If someone says they are exempt you have to accept that.

And therein lies the problem, the word exempt excuses anyone and everyone from not only wearing a mask but also from proving it. The exemption certificates aren't worth the paper they were printed on. It's not unreasonable to ask or expect some form of proof but as things stand the word is enough in itself. 

I've heard every excuse going about lung problems from people who allegedly have them but couldn't tell an inhaler from a perambulator. Mention spiro to them and they think of a 1970's kids toy then they head into the shop for another 40 ciggies to last the day out.

Robson Green has just gone public about panic attacks caused by him wearing a mask when filming on set. I can't understand the logic as he says it was because he couldn't see the reactions of others behind THEIR masks. So I'm curious as to how removing HIS mask makes a difference?  The make up girls must live in fear when he rolls up for a quick brush over and heaven help any actress who has to do a kissing scene with him. Yeah Robson, tell me how you can see her face when you're locking lips.

I better stop now before I start swearing.