Author Topic: Diary - Monday, 11 January 2021  (Read 1141 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Monday, 11 January 2021
« on: Monday 11 January 21 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Not much to report from my day.  I have not long since finished work.  There is no snow now in Newcastle and all the ice has gone from pavements around the place where I work.  Newcastle seemed deserted when I reached there tonight.  Only a few people were around at the bus station.
I felt dismayed to see the new rough sleeper is back in his spot at the bus station.  He appeared to be asleep curled up in his sleeping bag which was on top of some flattened cardboard boxes.  There must be somewhere better than this he could stay at.  Why is he doing this?!  And it feels so cold tonight and the rain is pouring down.  At least he is protected from the rain. 
Not many on my second bus on return.
I will have a cup of tea when I get in and then straight to bed.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday, 11 January 2021
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 00:11 GMT (UK) »
That must seem really sad RTL, after a long shift ,a bus journey and one more to get home,then  to see someone in such circumstances must
have been heartbreaking.
I hope you managed to sleep, you need to.
Nothing you can do really is there , you never are certain if it is by choice or necessity .
Either way very sad.
Watched Bradley Walsh and son for a little while this evening ,in Holland, Bradley explained about Vincent Van Gogh and the time when he cut off part of his ear.
A little while later he put on sunglasses ,but cockeyed,  asked his son
“ Who is this?”
Son did not know.
Bradley, “ Van Gogh on his holidays!”

Well it made me laugh.

Must be hail stoning ,I can hear the rattle on the balanced flue of the gas fire.
Rain again ,all day.

Daughter has found some Atrixo Hand Cream at Sainsbury’s, will send some.
Been using the Norwegian formula, good ,but rather greasy which Atrixo isn,t.

No plans for tomorrow, hope I can get out for a walk ,and get the washing on the line.
Hope everyone gets a good night’s sleep .
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Apparently a lot of the rough sleepers don't want to stay in the accommodation provided, some afraid of having their belongings stolen. Nevertheless it's very sad to see people sleeping out in those conditions.

Typical Bradley Walsh joke Viktoria  ;D

My day:

Was expecting my parcel from Wilko today containing the varnish I ordered, also some other things while I was paying for delivery. I wish I'd gone there first instead of wasting my money on the varnish that turned out to be tinted despite being advertised as clear. An email this morning gave me a one hour delivery slot and the driver arrived absolutely bang on the first minute of that slot. Had ordered both satin and gloss varnishes, a black dye, a blue geranium (not a pelargonium) and four packets of bicarbonate of soda for cleaning purposes. The only stuff that supermarket sells is in a small drum for baking.

Got quite excited when I received a text message from my GP surgery, although I knew really that it couldn't possibly be for a vaccination appointment yet, I'm not old enough. Turned out to be a request for people to not ring the surgery to ask about when they would get their vaccination as they've been swamped with calls and it's causing problems. Why can't people just be patient? Or patient patients.

Did some Pilates before going out for my usual walk. There were workmen on one of the walkways cutting bits from the trees at the back, near to garden fences. Everywhere still muddy. The temperature was higher but there was a cold wind. Had some tinned mackerel for lunch with tomatoes and brown bread. Haven't had that for a while, previously one of my favourites for lunch.
Went outside and bunged the geranium in a pot with some compost, watered it and put it on one of the potting bench shelves, it's in a sheltered place next to the house, hope it survives,

Set about varnishing the vase I'd painted, it would be touch dry in an hour but advised to wait four hours before applying a second coat, will have to wait till tomorrow so I can work in the daylight. Also varnished a frame and one of the small paintings I did in acrylic pour.

Did some ironing including the bedding and cushion covers I'd dyed, which I then put on the spare bed, looks pretty good. I'll be glad when it's just a bedroom instead of a quarantine room too.

More fish for tea, had some tinned rhubarb with my yogurt for a change. Watched the new series The Pembrokeshire Murders
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 00:50 GMT (UK) »
RTL- sorry to hear the rough sleepers back.... obviously they’re not all being catered for as before.... it’s difficult to know if it’s by choice or not though... distressing non the less...
Glad to hear that you’re not having to pick your way along icy, slippy pavements...
Hope you get a good night as I expect you’re up and back tomorrow!

Viktoria- just going back to one of your previous posts... I did have a giggle at you ‘loosing two hours’ this morning I think wasn’t it!
My mum used to use Atrixo... I found an unopened jar not that long ago that was hers when I was looking for something in the bathroom cupboard.... I had a smile to myself... she’s been gone 10 years but I couldn’t bear to throw it away! Daft fool that I am 😢...
Hope you get your mirror sorted... aren’t you able to be in a bubble with your son so he can come in your home to help fix things?
Hope your weathers better tomorrow...

My day
Despite our long walk yesterday I had trouble sleeping... it was a warm night and that never helps!
I woke at 6am... went back to sleep and woke at 8am when I heard my iPad bleep... message and more pictures from my son of the pool house progress...also remonstrating as they’d just had three day lock down and now have to wear face coverings when out for ten days... they’ve had one case that’s been isolated! Good job I made and sent them a f.covering each then!
Read for a while before getting up...
Put some washing in as outside temp was 7C!!...
After breakfast OH started making bread.... late lunch today then!....
Put away all the rest of the shopping... made another list to amend my delivery on Saturday... first delivery... be lovely not to have to go and fetch it!
Cleaned the bathrooms and downstairs loo then showered...
Despite the temp when I went to hang out the washing it was blowing a hooley and I had a job to peg it out.... the wind was bitter slicing right through you... brrr..
I had a wander down the village with lottery winnings from Saturday to pop through the door... glad winner doesn’t live anywhere near the dog issue house.... not heard anything back as to what the dog wardens done yet...
Phoned my SiL’s mum when I got back as daughter said she’d been a bit low... she looks after her dad who has memory issues so not much conversation for her.. we had a good natter... he’s now had both his jabs which is good news for her...
She’s not seen her other son and family who live in Switzerland since Christmas 2019... three grandchildren out there 14 yr old and 13 yr old twins... she’s very close to them so hard for her... hope by the end I’d cheered her up...
Late lunch but fresh bread so delicious....
Had some paperwork to do that took a while... thought computers were supposed to reduce it but seem to have more! Filing cabinet needs sorting out and stuff shredding... a job for another day!
Had a game of scrabble... got beaten by 100 points 😱😱😢 O.H now one ahead...
Cooked a piece of gammon I got from the butchers in cider with sliced orange in the oven... had that for dinner with red cabbage and vegs... it was a lovely bit of ham... didn’t make a sauce this time from liquid I cooked it in as far too salty... made that mistake last time!
Hadn’t realised it was pouring with rain when OH went to put the bins out...
Watched tv... rugby, University Challenge and Pottery Throwdown.. new presenter who I prefer to previous one... mixture of folk on it... some quite talented...
Good to see so many getting vaccinated now hope it continues and they meet their target of 13 or is it 15 million by mid Feb!?...
Hope those who are waiting for the vaccination get it soon...

Caroline

ADDED :- Roobarb we posted at the same time! Glad to hear your painting bits arrived and you can get in with your varnishing... sounds like you’ve had a busy productive day!
Thanks btw for telling us about your homework piece for your art class sounds like it’ll look interesting... can’t wait to see it...
I’ve never dyed anything in my washing machine... have visions of the next lot of washing I put in afterwards coming out with bits of dye on it!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Found out our three day lockdown to end at 6pm as already mentioned by Caroline.

The partner of the original UK covid case which sparked the lockdown, initially tested negative, but on Monday tested positive.

He had been in quarantine (along with 300! other ‘close’ contacts of the original positive case) for a few days already, but he still managed to get out and about for a couple of days prior to his positive test. Presumably there will be other positive cases amongst the 300. Hence, we have to continue to wear masks until Jan 22 when indoors, at shops etc, though, thank goodness, not while outside. Better to be safe than sorry - I think it’s wise.

Just popped briefly to the supermarket in the morning - some shelves still a bit empty after the stupid panic buying on Friday when our lockdown was announced, but I managed to get what I wanted. Everybody wearing masks as requested. Watched some Netflix (I think) “Trauma” starring John Simm. Watchable, tense, good acting, though not believable.

Took dog for her usual afternoon walk - we saw the labradoodle (in his own garden thank goodness)- both barked excitedly when they saw each other. Poor pup looks like he’s been subjected to a fairly severe shaving - under his usual fluffy coat he’s all skin and bone with a very long skinny whip like tail. Comical looking but still cute.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Need to get to the supermarket, but about MACHINE DYE....

I have used navy DYLON, though I admit to some trepidation!
Very efficient, and of course full rinse cycle so machine should be flushed thoroughly.
Follow instructions to the letter.... you will need SALT.
To be on the safe side I did a dark load for first use after dye process.  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, looks like you've got something to keep you busy for a while, shredding all those papers!. And improving on your scrabble of course, can't let him beat you!
Re the machine dying, as MH says you need to flush the machine. After the dye run you wash the items on a full cycle with detergent then run the machine empty on a full cycle with detergent. Wipe around the door seal and as MH says, make the next load a dark one. But no MH, you don't need salt now, it's included in the drum that the dye comes in.

Ruskie, glad to hear they take immediate action in Oz, I hope things are back to normal soon. The dog sounds lovely, will maybe be grateful for the haircut while its hot.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 12:16 GMT (UK) »

kWhat a glorious morning, got washing in, ironed some stuff that was waiting and will go for a walk when load in is hung up.
I am going to lose the use of my legs if I don’t ‘t get out more!

Joe Biden’s Inauguration will be interesting, so many troops deployed for
order and control.
How shocking,
That a man like Trump can bring such scorn on a Nation .

Wonder what those who voted for him feel now?
Assuming they even consider his actions as abnormal——?
Nothing is certain.

Well Coronation chicken today.

First a nice milky coffee ,then a stroll round the cemetery, the usual dog walkers will have gone by now, shame as we have a thirty second bit of distanced  banter .
Then bedroom tidied and bathroom cleaned ,just in case I die in the night!

Sad to say Flash Harry is really sad he is not with his friends , a bit tearful and was doing well with home schooling ,but no keenness now .
His Daddy is doing it and I wonder if he is expecting too much ,Mummy is trained and patience itself but is still working ,I will speak with my daughter ,she will sort it out with her son, FH’s Daddy.She won’t ever hold back if her children are wrong .
Well, Coffee  and walk after washing on the line .
Look after yourselves .Cheerio.
Viktoria.

P.S.
Back from walk, it  was  lovely ,not too cold and very sunny.
Then  up to put clean bedding on  bed , the bottom  sheet has got a bit crumpled in the bedding box ,will I be able to put it on like that,no, even though as soon as I get into bed tonight or will be creased again !
Ironed!
Well the ironing board was already up.

Puzzle:- what is the difference between someone driving five miles to take a walk and Boris cycling seven miles away from number 10?
As with Musicman ,answers on a £20 note.

Next door neighbour off with daughter today for her vaccination ,after daughter played steam because we had heard nothing since our cancelled appointments .
I know we are not supposed to phone ,but I am tempted .
Chap on TV this morning ,terrible chaos at the vaccination venue and a four hour wait , a mix up with those choosing to wait in their cars rather  than queue in the cold etc etc. So seemingly overlooked .

Ah well, cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Phone call from Health Centre ,Covid 19 vaccination this Thursday 9-30 at our local Civic Hall.
Did not phone, we were asked not to.
I am very grateful
.Viktoria.