Author Topic: Hubert John Hawkins - Service Number 31194  (Read 830 times)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hubert John Hawkins - Service Number 31194
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 January 21 08:48 GMT (UK) »
info in Reply 10 came from the GRO site.

www.gro.gov.uk - it is free to register and then search.  If you wanted to purchase a certificate this is where you would do it.  Births and Deaths come as PDFs by email, but Marriages have to be posted

Once I had those 3 births, I went looking for marriages at www.Freebmd.org.uk   Using the two surnames thus garnered,  looking for one where the husband was A.H. Hawkins. Luckily none of the others had the same initials!

The baptism mentioned in reply #12 is on Ancestry as is one of the passenger lists. The other one is at FindMyPast.

the Navy lists are on Ancestry

Details of the sister found in the same way at GRO
Found her on the 1939 register and that gave her name change.  Their parents can also be found on the register.

Using FreeBMD you can see some possible children of Jeanne, the sister born in the 1940s.

The Tatler piece is in the newspaper archive on FindMyPast, but you can also use the British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk and if you have never joined that before there are 3 free looks.

Hope that all makes sense.

Offline Naizam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 January 21 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank You Thank You Thank You

I wish there were a concise page / manual to help newbies with genealogy research!

In it's absence I truly value this board and the insights and knowledge of it's members!
Crawford, Smith, Marr, Newton, McClement, and more :)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 January 21 22:15 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.
One learns an awful lot just following posts on here. But also on here is a big section for beginners :-)

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/beginners/