Author Topic: Might these Records still exist?  (Read 397 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Might these Records still exist?
« on: Tuesday 12 January 21 10:31 GMT (UK) »

I wasn’t sure where to post this query, - and so will try here. Please redirect if I’m on the wrong Board.

I recently found, (on Ancestry) a record for a William Wilson, born 1894, Registered as an Indentured Apprentice in 1910 at Newport, South Wales, with The Tatem Steam Shipping Company.

I think that this is my late Uncle William Havelock Wilson, born Swansea in 1894.

I know that Records for the Merchant Navy are hard to come by for that timeframe, but would anyone on here know where might be a good starting point please?

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Might these Records still exist?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 13:56 GMT (UK) »
There is a Royal Navy record on the National Archives site which you can access and download free of charge (to do so you need to register with the archives, no fee involved). The record gives his DOB as the 6th June 1894 and gives a description of him as well as other information.

This is a link to his record:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8516337

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:09 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks AllanUK.

Yes, I’ve got that Record, and it’s definitely my late Uncle. It covers his RNR Service during WW1, but it doesn’t mention any previous Merchant Naval Service. This is rather curious, because my late Father’s RNR Service Record lists his Merchant Naval Ships.

I’ve found more information on The Tatem Steam Shipping Company, but I wanted to try to ascertain which Ships my Uncle was on. I think that he visited the Black Sea, Odessa, pre- revolutionary Russia, etc.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 14:13 GMT (UK) »

Thanks ShaunJ, I have that Record.

He obviously didn’t stay with the Assaying Job at the Chemical Works, but went to sea as an Apprentice instead.

Romilly.
Researching: