Author Topic: Can you help identify the soldier’s uniforms ?  (Read 283 times)

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Springett 1879-1955 & Great Uncle Richard
    • View Profile
Can you help identify the soldier’s uniforms ?
« on: Tuesday 12 January 21 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
Can anybody help me identify these soldiers uniforms, anything you tell me would be very helpful
Soldier in the single photograph was taken in Birmingham,  and I believe he has the signallers badge on his sleeve
Two soldiers, one I believe was in the west Kent regiment and has the badge on his lapel. I’m not sure about the other soldiers. The picture was taken in High Street Chatham
Thank you
Dee
Springett - Kent & Birmingham. Bailey - Eastington & Frocester Gloucester, Gregory - Frocester & Eastington Gloucester, Hall - Lichfield, Staffordshire & Birmingham, Grindley - Shropshire & Birmingham, Pinnegar - Kingstanley & Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Watkins - Eastington, Gloucester, Wilkins - Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Lane-Birmingham, Underwood-Birmingham, Selwood-Gloucester, Martin-Staffordshire, Henshaw/Staffordshire/Birmingham, Boyman-Kent, Bicknell-Yorks/Birmingham, Betts-Birmingham

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help identify the soldier’s uniforms ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 19:16 GMT (UK) »
The one with the collar badges is a Canadian soldier. The other is a private in the British Army, probably Artillery. A good quality scan of the cap badge would be helpful.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blubell17

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Springett 1879-1955 & Great Uncle Richard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 21 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information. I’ve added to the pictures as well as a little bit more information

Springett - Kent & Birmingham. Bailey - Eastington & Frocester Gloucester, Gregory - Frocester & Eastington Gloucester, Hall - Lichfield, Staffordshire & Birmingham, Grindley - Shropshire & Birmingham, Pinnegar - Kingstanley & Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Watkins - Eastington, Gloucester, Wilkins - Leonard Stanley, Gloucester, Lane-Birmingham, Underwood-Birmingham, Selwood-Gloucester, Martin-Staffordshire, Henshaw/Staffordshire/Birmingham, Boyman-Kent, Bicknell-Yorks/Birmingham, Betts-Birmingham

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 07:25 GMT (UK) »
The lad who is seated has a lapel badge it could be a Silver War Badge denoting medical discharge

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.