Author Topic: Tyrrells of Kilbride and Simonstown  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tyrrells of Kilbride and Simonstown
« on: Tuesday 12 January 21 23:15 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering, if by chance, anyone could find a detailed pedigree for this group, one of the ones that shows the wives and children.  I'm not sure that one exists.  (BTW Kilbride is different from the Pass of Kilbride)

One of the things that I am most interested in is how many times Thomas (d. about 1661) was married, and who his widow Margaret in 1662 was.  I have heard that she was originally Margaret Tyrrell of Clonmoyle, a co-heiress of John, but I am unable to find a good source for this.

Margaret of Clonmoyle was born about 1597.  If she was the wife of Thomas, and his only wife, then that has implications for an important point that I am considering, which touches on later events.

Thomas had a daughter named Margaret.  She is the one in whom I am most interested.  She married John Leicester who was born about 1640 and died in 1684.  Margaret had three children with John.  I am not sure how old she was when John died, but I presume she was a few years younger than him.

In 1700, this same Margaret (daughter of Thomas Tyrrell) was the wife of Maurice Bermingham of Broughal, Co. Offaly.  I presume that she married Maurice soon after John Leicester died.  In 1706 Maurice's daughter Mary married Pat Dempsy of Kilmurry, Co. Kildare.  I'm interested in the question of whether this Mary was a daughter of Maurice and Margaret.

I made a separate post about Maurice Bermingham, a while ago:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=814524.msg6755056#msg6755056

I do not have any clear indicator of how old Mary Bermingham was. (though I know she died in 1719, she was probably still young)  If we suppose that Margaret and Maurice were her parents, and that Maurice married Margaret (as a guess) in about 1685 without any further consideration, it doesn't seem too unreasonable in itself.  That might make her around 21 or a few years younger, when she married.

I'm not sure how old women of that class were when they married back then, but I suppose it is not too unlikely that she might have been older than 21.

Right now, I am leaning towards the proposition that Mary Bermingham was not Margaret's daughter.  Margaret had a daughter named Mary with John, who I am pretty sure was not the same women as Mary Bermingham.  I'm heard that sometimes a mother had more than one Mary.  But, if we go back to the first Margaret Tyrrell, the wife of Thomas, then if she was from Clonmoyle, she was born in 1597.  If we suppose Mary Bermingham was born to a daughter of this earlier Margaret named Margaret, after she married Maurice (suppose 1685), then that would be at least 88 years between the birth of grandmother and granddaughter, which seems to push it into the realm of fairly unlikely, though I suppose still possible.

I'd also be interested in any evidence that Maurice Bermingam had an earlier wife, but I am not sure what source could possibly survive for that.  I practically know nothing about Maurice, as an individual. (though I do know about his earlier family).  Only three mentions of his name: 1.) Mary's 1719 grave, 2.) Chichester House claim, circa 1700 (says his wife Margaret), 3.) another entry for Chichester House which I am pretty sure reveals he witnessed some lease or mortgage in 1670.

I've found a lot of little details for the Tyrrells of Kilbride, that I can add up, but nothing touching on formal pedigree, or a full list of the children of Thomas, or who his wife Margaret was.  I know he also had a son named Edward and another son with an unknown name, but I'm mainly only interested in anything that touches on the wives of Thomas, or his daughter Margaret.