Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 12th January  (Read 942 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 12th January
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hope you are all well.  I have not posted here very often, but have read the threads sine the start and enjoy the virtual connection. I think we are all doing the best we can, during a very trying time.
Have felt a bit down since I found out last Friday that a friend passed away on New Yearís Day. We met at the Family History Centre and had kept in touch via phone through the pandemic, last I spoke to her she was in the hospital, but although I knew her health was not good, her death was unexpected.  Hard on her family too, they are devout RC, and I know they would have preferred a funeral now.
My sciatica has been bad too.  Tried out my trekking poles on Sunday but they either made it worse or just a coincidence. Got out for a walk this afternoon though, had to use my cane some of the time. Lots of walkers and some kids letting of steam, finally a bit of sun!  I had a distanced chat with a woman with her dog - very cute (the dog!), she said he was a Powder Puff, a Crested Chinese with hair.  First one Iíve seen.
Finished my Peter Lovesey murder mystery and now into one of my Christmas gifts, The Lost Family, serious look at DNA and genealogy. Well written too, although I thought it would be more anecdotal, still very interesting.
You-know-who has been impeached again.  Well deserved.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Diana - so very sorry to hear about your friend such a shock for you... also your sciatica not easy to deal with either especially in the cold weather... hope it improves for you soon..
Lovely to see the sunshine it does so lift your spirits...  Iím interested to hear about your book The Lost Family....
Take care
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Diana, very sorry to hear the sad news about your friend, it's so difficult for the famiies and friends in these times. Good to hear that you managed to get out for a walk, hope your back is soon better.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 11:59 »
Just to Chuck my two pennorth in, at the vaccination centre today we were spaced as we waited in a snaking winding queue, by islands stuck on the floor two metres distanced ,BUT, as corners were turned when the queue moved up, you eventually came alongside another person with only a silken rope keeping you apart! The islands needed staggering better, they were apart longitudinally but not horizontally.Hope my explanation is clear.
A silken rope is not Covid 19 proof is it?
This was inside of course ,give me the choice between that and a walk in fresh air with a friend -( oh if only!) Iíd take the walk as the safer option by far.
Pheno , the rules are there ,granted , but so mixed up etc, RTL on a bus is seemingly OK ,????? She does essential work.
Why can people drink in daylight but not after six?Theybare still in the company of others.
Dies Covid 19 only come out after dark?
We are falling victim to the muddled thinking of those who decide these things for us.Nothing is really clear cut.
We trying our best and sometimes that means great sacrifice, to the detriment of other aspects of our general well-being .
People in Supermarkets donít keep a good distance apart ,nor did they in the Eye Dept on my last few visits ,partly because the waiting area for the pharmacy was much too small for the teens of patients waiting.
A narrow through corridor was entirely blocked by people who had no idea what two metres were and 
had they known,and given that  space
 they would not have heard their name called after -  wait for it , a one and a quarter hour wait!!!!!
And that in a hospital! !!( I am running out of exclamation marks!- hah ,found one.)
Two metres apart in a narrow corridor and teens of people waiting,the queue would have been half way to Oldham.

You are right in theory up to a point ,but in the fresh air ,masked etc , I think that also compares favourably with the many less safe situations that
are allowed .
Let us stay friendly ,and benefit from the support we all get as  and  when needed .
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 22:36 »
Caroline and Roobarb: thank you for your kind comments.  Am sure Mary will be in my thoughts for a long time.
The book The Lost Family is by Libby Coleman, an American, and is USA centric, but a good look at the ethics of DNA testing and its ramifications for many people who find out things they didnít know.  Made me think about my desire to find my grandfather - my mother was very tight lipped and felt the stigma of illegitimacy. She died in 1995 but I was thinking last night she might not have wanted me to do the test (I did in 2016).  Anyway, itís done, and I was able to discover a quarter of my ancestry.
There are some anecdotal stories in the book, too, she follows one womanís quest to figure out why her fatherís DNA story was not what his children expected.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 23:47 »
Diana, it's so sad to think of how people like your mother suffered from the stigma that was common in those days about illegitimacy. Being born out of wedlock these days is just as common as being born to a couple who are married. No-one thinks any the worse of the children of couples in a committed relationship who haven't married, or the children of absent or unknown fathers. How they must have suffered in your mother's day, poor things.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Today at 00:01 »
If you like DNA or similar mystery type true stories I can recommend this one:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24801556-the-daddy-of-all-mysteries

I think the author is/was a member of rootschat.

Itís set in Liverpool so anyone who knows the city will be able to relate. Itís a good yarn.

Itís available on Kindle too.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Today at 00:42 »
Sounds interesting Ruskie, it's currently an eye watering £6.99 on Kindle so have put the author in my watch list and hope the price comes down!
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Today at 00:45 »
Sounds interesting Ruskie, it's currently an eye watering £6.99 on Kindle so have put the author in my watch list and hope the price comes down!

Oooh,  :o thatís a bit steep.