Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 12th January  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Tuesday 12th January
« on: Wednesday 13 January 21 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hope Caroline and I don't post at the same time!

There was heavy rain in the early hours but was sunny when I got up, hadn't slept very well. Didn't do any Pilates, out for a walk late morning, it was freezing. Usual area, came back a bit breathless because of the cold air.

Scrambled eggs for lunch, wholemeal toast. Had a message from my friend J who said it was looking good for a walk tonight. I hadn't been sure what day she would be free and was leaving it to her to contact me, partly because I was a bit uncertain about going for a walk when the temperature was forecast to fall to one degree. I can keep warm but it's the effect on my breathing. I did want to go though as I haven't had any company at all for so many weeks.

I put another coat of varnish on my vase, looks good. Also a second coat on the small painting and did another frame too. Then spent most of the rest of the afternoon on the phone. First to my friend A, I rang her to see if she wanted me to try and get tickets to an event that a group of us are planning on going to. Next Christmas!
Then returned a call to my friend L, she had phoned while I was talking to A. I told her that I'd just finished reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. She'd told me last week that she'd read it a couple of years ago and really liked it. We had quite a long discussion about it, a two woman book club! Also talked about preparations for the next art project.

Set off to meet J just after five, I had more skins on than an onion! I also wore a mask , it would stop me inhaling such cold air, my own breath would warm it. That was the longest time I've ever worn a mask, good practice. It didn't bother me after a short time. Enjoyed the walk, it was great to have company. Was panting for a while when I got home.

Chicken in pasta sauce for tea. Saw that an old series of Celebrity Portrait Artist was on so watched that. The new Landscape Artist series starts tomorrow (Wednesday), really looking forward to that. Watched the second part of The Pembrokeshire Murders. Bath and bed.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 12th January
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, I am glad to read that your vase has turned  out well and that you enjoyed your exercise with a friend.  I do hope things will be okay by Christmas and that you will get to go to this event with friends.  It would be nice to think that things could be back to at least halfway normal by then.

Tuesday's diary:

I woke up just after 2 a.m. with a headache.  I found that I had fallen asleep without having drank my tea.  I feel wide awake so I get up to get some painkillers and a fresh cup of tea even though it is the middle of the night.  I take the tea back to bed and by the time I have finished it my headache has gone.  I think I have probably just been dehydrated.   I have been cutting back on drinking again on work days.  There is a council run toilet on my commute but it is open only certain hours and from what I have heard from others it can just randomly close at any time - I suspect for cleaning purposes.  So these can't be relied upon.
I lie awake for a couple of hours after this just thinking on things, before eventually falling asleep again.  I wake to the sound of the recycling wagon.  I look at the time and it is later than I had hoped to wake up but it doesn't matter too much as it is my day off.  So cereal AND tea for breakfast this morning.
I see it is a lovely sunny morning and this shoots my mood right up.  I go for a walk and then call at the shop for some essentials.  There are a couple of lads across from each other busily packing the shelves and chatting to each other.  Britney Spears can be heard singing overhead.  Suddenly, one of the stackers joins in with the chorus .. "Hit me baby one more time!".  The other lad then calls out in  mock serious tone " Ah couldn't do that to you, Steve!" and the other laughs.  It is nice to see them bantering and enjoying their work.
Back at home I have lunch a bit later than I would have wanted as everything has been thrown out a bit time wise.  I do a bit housework in the afternoon.  Then I had tea.  Then checked emails.  There is one from sister in law, commenting on various things going on in the world, such as the recent goings on in America and the confusion over here on what constitutes local exercise, etc.  Re: America I am glad that things seemed to have settled down again after suddenly degenerating into madness recently.  It just seemed like a crazy 'Gunfight at the O.K Corral'!  My goodness! 
There is also an email from one of the 'elders'  at my Church letting us know that our pastor who has recently left will be having his induction ceremony at London on Saturday.  What?!  That isn't the new area he has moved to.  I am clearly out the loop on things so I will have to try to find out what this is all about.  I might contact another Church friend as she always seems to be up to speed on Church matters. 
I also had an email from one of the bus companies I use (to go to work) that they will be reducing their services in accordance to fit with current government guidelines.  I would imagine it won't be long before the other bus companies follow suit.  Oh no! 
I then read for a bit before going to bed. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 10:00 GMT (UK) »
No Roobarb- I was too tired last night to post anything!
Pleased to hear you had an active day and all that talking hope you haven’t lost your voice!
My you’re brave booking something for Christmas this year.... it does seem ridiculous that in reality it’s normal!
Glad you’re vase is looking good...

RTL- some extra sleep never does anyone any harm least of all you!
The young seem to be carrying on as normal... must be nice not to feel worried ...
I’m sure you’ll get to the bottom of what’s happened to your Pastor ...
Sorry to hear your bus companies are altering their timetables... will keep fingers crossed you’ll be ok..

My day
I read quite late... no idea what time was when I turned out the light ......
It was a grey looking day when I got up but I put some washing in just in case!
After breakfast did some sorting out typing up and then showered..
Went to put the washing out but there was a slight drizzle so decided against it... hate hanging inside but as I put it in the bathroom we don’t use at least I can’t see it hanging around...
Read for a while... trouble is when you have a good book it’s hard to not read for long periods!
After lunch I amended my shopping for Saturdays delivery...
spoke to my friend M who works at Gatwick... we had a WhatsApp video call which was nice... she’s been self isolating as one of the crew she works with had a positive test on Saturday.... M had had a text to tell her so she’s indoors till the 20th... fortunately she’d been food shopping on the Friday... not used to being cooped up so not finding it easy... we had a good chat about old times people we knew etc etc... hope she’ll be ok will give a call in a day or two..
Had a game of scrabble I won so we’re all square... again!
Dinner was chicken curry, rice and vegs..
Had our zoom investment club meeting... decided not the time to invest at the moment so wait till next month... some shares doing ok...
Watched some tv...
Early ish night...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hope Caroline and I don't post at the same time!

There was heavy rain in the early hours but was sunny when I got up, hadn't slept very well. Didn't do any Pilates, out for a walk late morning, it was freezing. Usual area, came back a bit breathless because of the cold air.

Scrambled eggs for lunch, wholemeal toast. Had a message from my friend J who said it was looking good for a walk tonight. I hadn't been sure what day she would be free and was leaving it to her to contact me, partly because I was a bit uncertain about going for a walk when the temperature was forecast to fall to one degree. I can keep warm but it's the effect on my breathing. I did want to go though as I haven't had any company at all for so many weeks.

I put another coat of varnish on my vase, looks good. Also a second coat on the small painting and did another frame too. Then spent most of the rest of the afternoon on the phone. First to my friend A, I rang her to see if she wanted me to try and get tickets to an event that a group of us are planning on going to. Next Christmas!
Then returned a call to my friend L, she had phoned while I was talking to A. I told her that I'd just finished reading The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. She'd told me last week that she'd read it a couple of years ago and really liked it. We had quite a long discussion about it, a two woman book club! Also talked about preparations for the next art project.

Set off to meet J just after five, I had more skins on than an onion! I also wore a mask , it would stop me inhaling such cold air, my own breath would warm it. That was the longest time I've ever worn a mask, good practice. It didn't bother me after a short time. Enjoyed the walk, it was great to have company. Was panting for a while when I got home.

Chicken in pasta sauce for tea. Saw that an old series of Celebrity Portrait Artist was on so watched that. The new Landscape Artist series starts tomorrow (Wednesday), really looking forward to that. Watched the second part of The Pembrokeshire Murders. Bath and bed.

Roobarb, aren't current covid restrictions limited to leaving home for exercise once per day?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 11:10 GMT (UK) »
You know what Pheno, after spending ten months alone, and I mean entirely alone, not 'alone with husband ' I really couldn't care less. Give the police a ring and report me if you like.

There have been so many people on this thread who have supported me mentally, I don't see why your sole contribution has to be a comment like that.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Only because I note that you are often one of the ones who is always asking why 'people feel it is ok to break the rules?'  If everybody didn't care less then we would have no chance of a lockdown would we.

I don't care what you do or don't do except be hypocritical, and perhaps not post about it.

Pheno

Added: and I think it behoves someone to at least point out what the law currently is to those who feel inclined to break it.
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 12:19 GMT (UK) »
So you think that my walking a few yards to the field at the end of my road then walking around much more than two metres from people, is in the same category as thronging to places indoors and out? Quite honestly I've been perilously close to a breakdown sometimes and it's only a walk out that has saved me. And the support from other Rootschatters. Yesterday was the first time I'd been in anyone's company since my previous walk with my friend, which was before Christmas. I have been ENTIRELY alone all Christmas and new year and every other day.
I really don't need someone like you to be judgmental about me and if you can't contribute to this thread in the spirit of it that's a real shame.
And FYI,  it's NOT the law.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I think things maybe getting a bit out of hand on here....

Pheno - if you read Roobarbs diary you’ll see that she got the call from her friend AFTER she’d been out and who would want to judge her for going for just a walk and spend valuable company with a friend when she’s been on her own for all this time...
There are plenty of people out there who have been doing far worse than just a walk... as Roobarb says it’s NOT Law....
Everyone needs support during these unprecedented times and for those who live entirely on their own it’s a little unkind to be so acerbic....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Why do we have these guidelines/regulations/laws other to try and help NHS capacity and to SAVE the LIVES of others.  If these guidelines have been put together by those qualified to do so then why do some think they know better.

If you get the call afterwards then you decline the invite surely (and surely don't post about it).

I haven't got a particular gripe against Roobarb but if she, as failry sensible and regulated I assume judging from her previous posts, thinks its ok just to do what she presumably knows she shouldn't do then why wouldn't everyone else.

As Cressida Dick said yesterday - its preposterous to think that there is anybody out there who doesn't know what the regulations are.

Pheno

Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire