Author Topic: Diary > Tuesday 12th January  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Tuesday 12th January
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:00 GMT (UK) »
I’m sorry but I think this is getting really out of hand now and knit picking to say the least....
I think most on here know the guidelines/rules etc BUT I really don’t think going for a walk is a problem...
It’s a diary of what people do or think during the day... it helps... more especially when people are on their own... and none of us need a ticking off as if we’re naughty school children...
There are plenty of times I’ve read things and raised an eyebrow but not said anything....
I’m sure Roobarb is the last person who would flagrantly seek to break ANY laws... this one isn’t a law though!
If she said she’d walked to the postbox which could be a distance away to post a letter and then gone for a walk with a friend presumably you wouldn’t have a problem with that? Essentially it’s not much difference ...
Whilst I appreciate that people should follow the guidelines there are more serious ones that are not followed to get wound up about!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Since this whole thread is about help/sharing/support during this troubled time with a regular group of participants who understand each other and support where possible (I too being someone who lives alone) such a judgmental comment from a non-participant - which is unduly pedantic - is simply not warranted. 

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Is it support or being caring to turn a blind eye when one disregards regulations I wonder? Wonder how many people who are shielding or extremely vulnerable are happy to learn of people disregarding guidelines designed to keep them safe.

Fine if everybody is happy to do it without any conscience but it cannot be one rule for people on a diary thread on a genealogical forum and another rule for everybody else.

What is the point of guidelines - why not let this thing run rife through the community until we build up herd immunity after so many thousands of people die.  This is essentially what ignoring guidelines will lead to and I, for one, will be extremely cross when thoughtlessness leads to unnecessary death.  I suspect lots of others, if asked, would be too.

If one walks twice a day what else will one do that might spread the virus - and I am not referencing anybody in particular here.

I simply want me and mine to be safe.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, as Caroline says, you only found out about the chance to go out with your friend after having been out on your usual walk.  Plus you and friend socially distanced, so where was the real harm. 
After all you have endured virtually entirely on your own all these months, I certainly wouldn't begrudge you this tiny bit of solace you have had yesterday.

Yes, I agree with the sentiments of Annette.  Let's be compassionate towards each other and not nit pick.
This was an uncommon event for Roobarb and look at all the personal sacrifice she has made over many months.  I think she has done spectacularly well and I just thank God she has avoided a breakdown in these circumstances.   

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Nit picking to point out breaches of regulations?

Isn't that what we are encouraged to do - not that I am pointing it out to any Authorities'.

Its the little breaches that lead eventually to the big ones that you all dislike so much, or so you say.

Pheno
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Pheno, I don't know why you have hijacked the diary thread to make what seems to me to be a personal attack on me. If you wanted to bang the drum about people breaching regulations (NOT laws) then perhaps you should have started a thread that's dedicated to that subject instead of spoiling what is a helpful thread for the regular participants and many others who read but do not contribute.

I am not a hypocrite and I have certainly never endangered anyone throughout this pandemic. I can't see how I could possibly do that by being several metres away from any human being whenever I go out for a walk which is the only time I go anywhere at all. Am I endangering people more than Boris Johnson taking a seven mile bike ride through the busy streets of London? My two walks amounted to much less than seven miles in total and were not in busy areas.

Please don't bother answering those questions, I won't be responding to any more of your posts, I have better things to do.

Thank you to the other Rootschatters for talking some sense.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Ok I apologise for hijacking the diary thread - you are right and I should have copied and pasted your post to a new topic on the Stay Safe forum.  However the content remains the same.

None of us probably think we are doing anything wrong in any small covid breaches - however that probably applies to those committing large covid breaches too.  It just can't be one rule for little breaches and another for larger ones.  Laws/rules/regulations/guidelines apply to all of us and you think it nonsensical to point out breaches of those guidelines?

Neither am i making a personal attack, however an oft quoted message in the diary thread (and yes I have read them all) seems to me the ridicule etc of people who have breached rules i.e. those congregating on beaches, having house parties etc.  Just seems a bit hypocritical to me.  I very much doubt if anybody was endangered but this lockdown is extremely difficult for everybody, not just those on their own, who can form a bubble with someone else.

If I feel like saying anything else, or perhaps asking other RCers what they think I shall start a new topic.

Pheno

Added: Please see the article entitled 'Is Your Journey Really Necessary?' in the latest Lost Cousins newsletter in which the sentiment is expressed that he fully hopes, with 1 in 50 in the population having coronavirus, that people are not stretching the rules but stretching themselves.  That eloquently expresses my opinion and probably that of several others. (Sorry but not able to add link within copyright rules but I suspect as genealogists many of you read this publication).
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Pheno - I think you should do as you say and start a different thread and not hijack the diary...
it’s a daily diary as the title infers and not for pontificating on the rights and wrongs of the covid regulation/ guides or what ever else you like to call them...
There are plenty of varied topics under the banner ‘The Stay Safe Board’ and this isn’t the one to do it on...
Perhaps you could write a diary entry....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 19:08 GMT (UK) »

If I feel like saying anything else, or perhaps asking other RCers what they think I shall start a new topic.

Pheno

As I said and no won't join the diary.
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Wray - Yorkshire