Author Topic: Harnham Cliff House, Salisbury?  (Read 65 times)

Offline Starry163

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harnham Cliff House, Salisbury?
« on: Wednesday 13 January 21 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. Don't usually post on forums but I am at my wit's end here. I have the handwritten address of someone who lived at Harnham Cliff, Salisbury/Harnham in May 1846. From what I believe, the house was grand and expensive and now demolished.

However, the actual name of the person on the address is indecipherable (literally just looks like a scribble) and not even the old handwriting professionals I spoke to can do anything more than make guesses. Even more frustrating is the fact that no one living there in 1841 or 1851 has a name that looks like it could be the one written by any stretch of imagination. I believe the house was let out to people for a few months at a time.

Could anyone look up for me, or at least point me in the direction of somewhere where I could look up, who was living at Harnham Cliff in specifically May 1846?

It's okay if not - I might just have to give up on this one soon.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Harnham Cliff House, Salisbury?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

From 1837 -
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/7224466d-89c9-43f2-a5d9-ba2ef407e279

Could there be later ones ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harnham Cliff House, Salisbury?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 16:41 GMT (UK) »
This could be difficult - the house was advertised for let in September 1845 for 6 months.  Mr Cobb was the solicitor who held the details.  Prior to that a man named H Kelsey was living there in 1842.  Not found anything later than that in the 1840s so far.

Nell

PS Welcome to RootsChat  :)

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk