Author Topic: Help with Manor Court Roll  (Read 328 times)

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with Manor Court Roll
« on: Wednesday 13 January 21 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Could someone please help me make out what is happening in the Court Roll here?:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DR99-KNK?i=1027&cat=416138

I'm interested in the transaction on the right hand side page.

The first section is in English and from a will, which I have copies of, but I can't make out exactly what is happening for the remainder, which goes over the page.

The latin starts at about where a few words are strongly crossed out about two thirds down.

Walsingham Bokenham has asked Robert Snell and Arthur Branthwait to buy a property in trust for the poor.

From what I can make out, Snell and Branthwait give money to, or ownership of the property to, John Amyas, Rector of the Parish that (I think) was surrendered to them out of Court 19 May (as testified by Peter Thacker) by Johnathon Greene and Mary his wife, and John Lavender, son of ?Julius Lavender dec.

I think it was at the time in the use of James Lightwing, and they the J Greene and Susan? his wife and ?Edmund? Lavender took it up from George Kett at a Court held 24 Oct 1700.

Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Manor Court Roll
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Not an easy hand.

You have the essence of it. Most of it is reciting what has happened in the past. I’ve taken the liberty of breaking it up into paragraphs in an attempt to set it out clearly.

=====
[Court held on Tuesday 16 October 1716]

Whereas Walsingham Bokenham in the county of Norfolk, gentleman, by his last will and testament bearing date on or about the eighth day of November in the year of the Lord one thousand seven hundred and ten, amongst other things contained in the same will, gave and devised as follows, namely [recitation from the will, in English] ...

... and whereas no purchase could be made for the aforesaid sum except the messuage mentioned below, and the aforesaid Arthur Branthwaite and Robert Snell, at the request of the Minister, Churchwardens, Overseers of the Poor and other charitable inhabitants of the said parish, purchased the messuage, lands, tenements and premises referenced below for the sum of fifty pounds, and at their request the remaining ten pounds in the hands of John Amyas, minister of the said parish, was to be spent on repairs and fitting up the said messuage or tenement and converting it into a suitable place of residence for poor persons, as mentioned in the will;

and whereas it was also found by the Homage at the last general court held here, as witnessed by Peter Thacker, esquire, then and now the steward of this manor, that on the nineteenth day of May last past Jonathan Greene, villein tenant of this manor, Mary his wife, and John* Lavender, one of the sons of John Lavender deceased, came before the said Peter as steward of this manor (the aforesaid Mary by right being interviewed alone and privately by the aforesaid steward and giving her consent), and outside the court, according to the custom of this manor, they surrendered from their hands into the hands of the lord of this manor, through the hands of the said steward and in the presence of Timothy Sheldrake the younger as witness, all and every part of his and their messuages, lands, tenements and hereditaments in Hethersett aforesaid held in this manor by copy of court roll then in the use and occupation of James Light[...?]** with everything belonging to them, and also all and whatsoever his and their messuages, lands, tenements and hereditaments held of this manor by copy of court roll, with appurtenances, and the reversion and reversions that remained, and all the estate, title and interest of the aforesaid Jonathan Green, Mary his wife and Edmund* Lavender whatsoever that was theirs in the said premises, with appurtenances, wholly and solely for the use and benefit of the said Arthur Branthwait and Robert Snell and their heirs and assigns for ever, In Trust, as mentioned in the aforesaid will, and to and for no other use or purpose whatsoever; and then the aforesaid Arthur Branthwait and Robert came to that last court mentioned, to take possession of the premises etc., and the first proclamation was made etc.;

Now the aforesaid Arthur Branthwait and Robert Snell came to this court through the aforesaid John Amyas, clerk, as their representative in this matter, seeking the grace of the lord of this manor to be admitted tenants to those premises, for the use of them, In Trust, as set out in the surrender, namely – one messuage with outside buildings belonging to it, and one acre of land belonging to the same, in Hethersett aforesaid, abutting onto the lands now of George Kett on the west side and onto the common pasture of this manor called Lynch Greene on the south side, with appurtenances, which the aforesaid Jonathan Green held and took for himself and his heirs from the surrender of John Lavender at a general court held here on the twenty-fourth day of October in the year of the Lord One thousand seven hundred, as is shown in the court roll;

and the aforesaid Arthur Branthwait and Robert Snell were then admitted tenants; and the lord of this manor granted seisin by the rod to the same Arthur Branthwait and Robert Snell, through their aforesaid representative and through the hands of the aforesaid steward, to hold to the same Arthur Branthwait and Robert Snell, their heirs and assigns, In Trust, as mentioned in the aforesaid will of the aforesaid Walsingham Bokenham, and not otherwise or in any other way whatsoever, at the will of the lord according to the custom of this manor, for the rent and services thence previously owed and by right accustomed, saving the rights, etc. And they gave to the lord, etc.
=====

Notes
* The first time he is John Lavender son of John; the second time he is Edmund Lavender son of John
** I’m unsure if he is James Light, with another word following (before suis), or if his surname is longer than that. But I'm struggling to see it as Lightwing, as you suggest.

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Manor Court Roll
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 January 21 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Bookbox!

That's above and beyond for what I was after. There's a lot more interesting detail there than I imagined and it's all incredibly helpful.
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham