Author Topic: booksellers in portsea  (Read 875 times)

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
booksellers in portsea
« on: Wednesday 13 January 21 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Still pursuing details of the bookseller, Oxlade, in Portsea.  chempat sent me two references in the Hampshire Chronicle but I can't find any sign of the H. Chronicle.  Help!

Apropos  Oxlade (174 Queen Street) - it has been a prolonged enquiry - I can't determine whether he was a printer or whether he was a bookseller only.

And, further, I can't find an age for him when he married Mary Anne Terry in 1813.  The relevant document, an 'allegation of marriage', indicates that both parties have achieved their majority but does this necessarily circle on 21 or is there some latitude?   My only plausible candidate for JO is that he was born in 1770 in London, son of William Oxlade.  The later life of the couple is traceable despite there being anomalies - Mary Anne's age given as 40 in the 1841 census so she couldn't have achieved her majority in 1813.

Once more, therefore, I have to ask for help...please.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: booksellers in portsea
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 15:52 GMT (UK) »
My only plausible candidate for JO is that he was born in 1770 in London, son of William Oxlade. 

What is JO?  Any other siblings to compare ages that might help.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »
The Hampshire Chronicle is available in the newspapers section of FindMyPast and the British Newspaper Archive.  These are subscription sites, but FindMyPast does offer a free trial.

Regarding Mary Anne's age in 1841, she could have been as old as 44 since the census required enumerators to round down ages.  So a 40 year old could really be up to 44.  Also people forgot their true age or just fibbed!

I know there are other threads on this, but I don't know which one is the relevant one to give background information. 

A Robert and Ann Oxlade/Oxland baptised a daughter in Portsea in 1822.  Any relation?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 15:59 GMT (UK) »
It says their ages are 21 on the marriage allegation.  For other couples different ages are given or minor with consent of.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 16:04 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 says bookbinder as occupation.

Bookbinder apprentice for John 15. 

John senior not born in County
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked baptisms for children to see what occupation he had on those?
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Previous thread for reference.

john oxlade (London and Middlesex)
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=767029.0
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 16:15 GMT (UK) »
There was a William Oxlade living in Millbrook in Southampton in 1791.  Quite a few in the Bisham & Marlow area on the Thames.  Have you investigated any of those to see if there is a relevant family member who would fit the bill?

Ages on marriage allegations are not always that helpful 21 could just mean 21 and over.

What help exactly are you looking for - I don't want to give you information that you already have.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all Rootschat correspondents who've sent in information regarding John Oxlade of Portsea. With respect, I thought that I'd made it clear in my most recent contributions (my asking for help, mainly) how far investigations had gone...There's also a long back-log of enquiry on Rootschat that should help to answer questions recently posed by correspondents.

Nonetheless, here's a summary of the present situation...

Firstly, I found the Hampshire Chronicle on what was, for me, a new website; and was able to clarify certain details.

Secondly, with regard to John Oxlade's age at marriage in 1813, I knew very well that figures were quite often 'manipulated' so as to conform with the requirement that parties should have attained their majority.  So I based enquiry on that possibility.  I believe that both JO (John Oxlade) and Mary Ann Terry were older than twenty-one...and census details in 1841 bear this out.

In fact, thirdly, and most importantly, I'm now more than ever convinced that the John Oxlade I'm pursuing is the one born to William Oxlade in London in 1770.  Computation taking into accounting census returns seems to confirm this.

This is an advance on previous enquiries and through mulling over and asking advice from correspondents - and getting it anyway.  Again - much thanks.

There are still avenues to explore, particularly in respect of my original research into Oxlade as a printer of broadside ballads - my principal interest (as exemplified in a series of articles that can be found on the Musical Traditions Website).  Two connective things stand out in this case.  The first is that JO issued the ballads in question but that this was on behalf of William Oxlade and not on his own; and, secondly, William Oxlade died in 1803.  This is an important factor because several of the ballads refer to events that took place after that date and this suggests that JO had had a hand in their production.

I'm not yet entirely convinced that JO was the printer although the odds are beginning to favour some sort of involvement.  It might still look as if he was a bookseller only: the jury is out.

He and his wife, Mary Ann, left Portsea in or around 1820 and are next found in London, back in the area in which William Oxlade had raised his family; and in touch with one or another of the family - the name of Alexander Crawford, brother-in-law and himself a bookseller who had been apprenticed to JO, is certainly one of these.  JO apparently took up the trade of shoemaking immediately after his move (there is evidence to show that this could have been a fall-back occupation for more than one person encountered during this enquiry) and then returned to bookbinding - not, it seems, bookselling.

There are, then, anomalies still and further lines to pursue.  I hope, though, that the situation with regard to enquiry has been made clearer and, once again, thank correspondents for their patience.

roly
I am no longer able to respond to my threads on RootsChat, Ihave enjoyed my time here and my research. My notification have been turned off.