Author Topic: Lucy Hodges / Lucey Hodges baptisms, Charlton Adam, Somerset 1823  (Read 987 times)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy Hodges / Lucey Hodges baptisms, Charlton Adam, Somerset 1823
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 January 21 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trish,

I've got William's death age 84 and probate to Dinah in 1878, which seems to make him the 1794 baptism to George & Mary.

I've also been through the entire 1861 census for Charlton Adam which, together with the baptism register has given me quite a few names and family associations, so I'm slowly putting it all together. Also got William, Dinah & children in 1841. I need to go through the other pages in that census as well.

Sister Mary was living with William and Dinah in 1861 also.

The Parish registers are on Ancestry, transcripts on FindMyPast, so it's just a matter of working my way through them.

I've got the baptism for Dinah Parsons in 1800 at Holton, but not checked it yet.

I'll get there!

Thanks again for your help ;D

Edit: Forgot to add, 1841 census suggests 1796-1801 for Dinah's year of birth.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 January 21 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Keep plodding away and you'll get there :)

I discounted the Holton bapt Dinah as she seems to marry William Hine and can be found on Census with him.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 January 21 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again.

All really helpful information :)
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 January 21 14:54 GMT (UK) »
An update. All going well with the Hodges.

Still struggling with Dinah Parsons. I have made some progress and believe she may be connected to a Parsons family from High Ham, but still can't see where she fits in.

One of the executors of her Will is shown in her probate register entry as Samuel Hurd from 17, Ordnance Road, St. John's Wood, Middx. I have obtained a copy of her Will in case it contained any more clues, but unfortunately it doesn't.

However, a Samuel Hurd was born 1950/Q2/Langport/10/440 - and baptised 29th June at Somerton to Joseph & Ann Hurd, nee Parsons. He appears in the 1891 census as a print compositor at the above address, born in Somerton :) He is described in Dinah's Will as simply "a gentleman", with no indication of any family relationship.

Joseph Hurd married Ann Parsons 19th June 1835 at High Ham. Susan & James Parsons were witnesses at the wedding. She appears in 1851 Census as Ann Hurd age 36 and 1861 census age 46, suggesting she was born abt 1815.

Ann Parsons bap. 12 Feb 1815 at High Ham to William & Mary Parsons.

Joseph Hurd was a widower, prev. marr. Sophia Cox 14 Oct 1816 at Martock, Somerset. Sophia Cox bap. 18 Jan 1792 at Martock, to John & Betty Cox.

William Parsons married Mary Ann Larcombe 6 Aug 1804 at High Ham. Witnesses John Howe & James Parsons. I have discounted the obvious Mary Ann Larcombe, bap 1790 from Wiveliscombe - she would have been 13 on the date of marriage, and census entries indicate that both William & Mary were born abt. 1783.

I believe she was Mary Larcombe, bap. 10 Nov 1782 at St Marys, Shapwick, to James & Betty Larcombe, subsequent confirmation of Shapwick as her birthplace found in the 1851 census.

William Parsons bap. 28th Sep 1783 at High Ham, to James & Mary, possibly James Parsons & Mary Coliverd, who were married 12th Jan 1783 at High Ham. Was his father the James Parsons who was a witness at his wedding?

William & Mary appear to have had the following children: James (b.1807) William (1809) Ann (1815) and Susan (1817). Susan & James may have been the witnesses at Joseph Hurd & Ann's wedding.

Mary Parsons, witness at Dinah's wedding, could have been Mary Larcombe.

So it seems likely that Dinah may have been somehow related to William Parsons. She seems to have been somewhat flexible with her age throughout her life, but it was recorded as 91 in the death register and burial records in 1890, suggesting she was born abt. 1799. Other ages given put her birth anywhere between 1795 and 1809, but her marriage date makes the latter somewhat unlikely.

Perhaps William was her older brother? I have scoured digital copies of the baptism registers for both High Ham and Somerton parishes between 1890 and 1905, but can find no trace of her :(
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 January 21 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Outside chance?

CLAUDIANA Parsons Bapt 01 Dec 1799 St Andrew. High Ham to JOHN/MARY

This is on FreeREG but as I cant see original image could the Father be James??

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 January 21 08:53 GMT (UK) »
1841 in High Ham we have;
James Parsons   78
Mary Parsons   82
Charlott Parsons 24
Occp is dittoed for James so possibly a Carpenter.

So as still alive could have witnessed any of their childrens marriages.

I would say this is James Parsons and Mary Coliverd above.

Their Burials are on FreeREG James 1845 age 84**/Mary 1848 no age given.

GRO has Mary age 91**

Charlotte may have been bapt 1816 High Ham, Mother SARAH Parsons.

James/Mary bapt a SARAH 31 Mar 1793

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 January 21 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Trish, I think you might be on to something :)

I need to find the correct baptism register again, as I know I've been through it, but the copy I've saved despite stating it is 1531-1812 ends in 1786 for baptisms.

Nothing coming up on Ancestry or FindMyPast for Claudiana, but I've just found a transcript on FindMyPast for what appears to be the same entry that you found on FreeREG:

It's transcribed as "Clo.inna Parsons" which suggests to me that the original script is possibly not that clear. I can see how a "d" could turn into "cl".

Parents are shown in this version as "Jas." and Mary, which could well be James & Mary Coliverd.

I need to find that page!

Thank you  :) :) :)
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 January 21 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Got it!

The daughter's name looks to be Cloadinna. The nearest "proper" name I can find is Cloadina, which on a quick google seems to be attached to a few Italian women and also appears in latin texts (and the name of a track by someone called DJ Karter on a 2010 recording, but I won't go there).

The father's name is less legible, but either "Jas.", "Jes." or "Jos.". James seems a pretty good bet to me.

I can see someone christened Cloadinna choosing to use Dinah instead.

I think that's the best fit that's going to be found.

Thank you Trish :)
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 January 21 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Excellent ;D

I'm glad you had access to the image.
I'M in Australia so a bit far away and dont have FindMyPast!