Author Topic: Scottish birth record  (Read 536 times)

Offline Seeker155

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish birth record
« on: Wednesday 13 January 21 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello...
My first time making a post here.  I have a parish birth record from Scotland that looks like it has the word door written after the person the child I am researching was born after. I was wondering if anyone would know what that means. It is in the column that usually says named after paternal grandmother, etc. 
Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish birth record
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Seeker.

I wonder if Poor might fit with the context? Do any others on the page have the same or other, notations?

What year was this birth?

Offline Seeker155

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 21 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi. No one else has this notation and it is under the column for being named after a person such as the uncle or grandfather.  Poor did come across my mind as well but I don't think it fits the context of the column. My other though was daur for daughter as in named after another child maybe but it really does look like "Door". Thanks!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 January 21 02:31 GMT (UK) »
I'd agree with Ruskie on 'Poor' although it seems an odd place to write such a thing but it also looks as though it may have been written after as the ink looks darker?

I'd assume the parents maybe paid less than the usual donation?

I have seen many Scottish baptisms but I've never seen one like yours with...
"the column that usually says named after paternal grandmother, etc".

Is it a birth or a baptism as the wording on a birth cert. is even more peculiar?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 January 21 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Possibly written by someone else?

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 January 21 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seeker155

Welcome to Rootschat.

Please could you post the whole image so we can see the context as it sounds very unusual or could you give us the name and dates for the person.  I’m a member of Scotland’s people so I could look it up, it’s intriguing.

Offline Seeker155

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 January 21 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the warm welcomes and for the replies.

Rosinish  and Ruskie- Thank you that makes sense about the poor when you put it like the.

Oldfashionedgirl -I wasn't sure I could post the whole image without breaking copyrights so I only posted the part with the name.  There are 4 columns on this record.1) Dates of births and baptisms 2) Parents 3) Children and 4) Name Fathers & Mothers (this is where I found the name).

In this case 1) dec 5 1793 2) John Black and Isabell Orquar 3) Marjory 4) Marjory Wilkie (Poor?)

On a different ancestor I found something similar but the column for the child said named and the next column said "After".  Then it gave me the name of the paternal grandmother.  This was huge in helping me connect to the correct grandparents.

I was hoping this record would say the same but I would think it would note grandmother if that was the case.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 January 21 15:04 GMT (UK) »
This falls into the period when he government imposed a tax on entries in parish registers. The clerk was allowed to keep a proportion for collecting it. "Poor" will probably be added to show why the tax was unpaid. Sometimes you see "Not paid" added to an entry.

One result of the tax was a fall in the number of entries made. When the tax was abolished, lots of people had baptisms registered retrospectively.

Offline Seeker155

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 January 21 19:50 GMT (UK) »
GR2- Thank you! Wow, that is very interesting and makes sense.  I think I have my answer. I will have to keep working on the Wilkie part and see if that is the grandmother's last name or not.

Thank you all for your help.