Author Topic: Looking for Henry James Hayes participation WW1 b Bedford 1894.  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Robincrook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Henry James Hayes participation WW1 b Bedford 1894.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 January 21 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou so much LadyHawk..... I have spent a frustrating time looking for him and the reason I have not is that his given age here is 10 years older than he actually was! The search parameters I set were way out! I use FindMyPast and I have now checked the original, and it definitely records him as being 89 yrs! I think the son or who ever did the sum had him born c1822 rather than c1832. The son's age ties in with earlier census's and Henry was a greengrocer and corn merchant before retirement!
Now looking for his death after 1911.

Thanks again
Robin
Rickards, Gardiner, Tibbles, Parker

Offline Robincrook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 February 21 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Having continued to research the Hayes family I have managed to get back to the grandfather of Henry James namely Henry Hayes b c1832.

Although my research started in Bedfordshire, I quickly found that historically, several generations lived in the Dartford and Wrotham Registration Districts of Kent. The Grandfather of Henry James was Henry Hayes b c1832 Wrotham who married Mary Collins Sep Qtr 1853 Shipbourne. Mary b c1836 I have them in 1861, 1871 living Dunks Green, Wrotham, 1881 Shipbourne. 1891,1901 Swanscombe.

Regards

Robin

I am now trying to Find Henry Hayes (Bapt Shipbourne 6 Mar 1831) in the 1841/51 Census but no joy at all! Father of Henry I believe is John Hayes who married Mary Carter 18 Mar 1823, I can find neither John or Mary in these Census's when I would have expected Henry to have been living with them. I am also seeking John Hayes baptism in an attempt to take the family back further but again I am struggling to find any likely family associations.

I sound like a broken record but if anyone can shine a light, I would very much appreciate it!

Robin

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 February 21 16:22 GMT (UK) »

I am now trying to Find Henry Hayes (Bapt Shipbourne 6 Mar 1831) in the 1841/51 Census but no joy at all!

Father of Henry I believe is John Hayes who married Mary Carter 18 Mar 1823

I can find neither John or Mary in these Census's when I would have expected Henry to have been living with them.

Is this a possibility for Henry age 10 on 1841 census with a Mary HAYS and others, youngest being Amy Hays age 9 months
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ2S-DTQ - Wrotham, Kent

looking at the original entry it notes Mary as a widow

EDITED ....  ::) sorry I just noticed your post below and that you have Henry on later censuses 

Quote from: Robincrook

Having continued to research the Hayes family I have managed to get back to the grandfather of Henry James namely Henry Hayes b c1832.

Although my research started in Bedfordshire, I quickly found that historically, several generations lived in the Dartford and Wrotham Registration Districts of Kent.

The Grandfather of Henry James was Henry Hayes b c1832 Wrotham who married Mary Collins Sep Qtr 1853 Shipbourne. Mary b c1836

I have them in 1861, 1871 living Dunks Green, Wrotham, 1881 Shipbourne. 1891, 1901 Swanscombe.

for info...to help others looking for 1851/1841 census

Is this who you think are Henry Hayes bn c1832 parents?

1881c  Piece:   901 Folio:   62 Page Number:   21
Dunks Green
John HAYES   78 pob dittoed Shipbourne Ag Lab.
Mary                 75                        ditto
James CARTER   66 brother Hadlow Ag. Lab.

1871 Piece: 917 Folio:   60 Page number:   12
Dunks Green
John HAYES 66   Head ag lab
Mary Hayes 67   Wife Hadow
James CARTER   57 Hadlow   Brother-in-law ag. lab.

Is this Mary Hayes & her brother James Carter on 1861 census?  - she is noted as Mar.

Piece: 486 Folio:   118 Page Number:   35
William Mitchel   66
Mary HAYES   54  Hadlow housekeeper
George Hayes   19 Wrotham son to serv., ag lab.
James CARTER    49 Hadlow boarder ag lab.

1871census could this be the above George Hayes living Dunks Green
Piece:   920 Folio:   42Page number:   27
George Hayes   28   Head, Wrotham, Ag. lab.
Harriett Hayes 27   Wife
Alice Hayes 9/12   Daughter
Eliza Slatter 65   Mother-in-law
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robincrook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 February 21 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Crikey, I am going to have to take a rain check on that info! I need to get my head around it! I am currently trying to make sense of it all! Thankyou as always for the Rootschat family for helping me out!