Author Topic: Brick Wall - POLLARD, London  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall - POLLARD, London
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 January 21 13:45 GMT (UK) »
You said earlier that in 1871 Martha was 'elsewhere' - where was she and under what surname?

You need the birth certificate of one of the sons - as Harris (not Pollard) - to see what details are entered for the father.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 January 21 13:53 GMT (UK) »
There was a boot maker named Thomas Harris Pollard in Shoreditch at that time, with a wife Louisa. Just coincidence?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 January 21 13:53 GMT (UK) »
You said earlier that in 1871 Martha was 'elsewhere' - where was she and under what surname?

You need the birth certificate of one of the sons - as Harris (not Pollard) - to see what details are entered for the father.

Annette

In 1871 there is a Martha Pollard at West Street Hackney, Dressmaker, so not sure if this is her or not it says she is the daughter but the Head is Ridge.  So I do not know if this is her.  Previously she stated Milliner/Dressmaker so it could be her.
I am thinking Harris sons are a coincidence as there is the Baptism with Pollard on why would she then register births as Harris!  Maybe I should pay for a PDF just to see as you suggest Annette! 
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 January 21 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Think just a coincidence - Thomas Harris Pollard was in Worcestershire from 1861.

Annette

London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 January 21 14:03 GMT (UK) »
There was a boot maker named Thomas Harris Pollard in Shoreditch at that time, with a wife Louisa. Just coincidence?

Yes Shaun I did come across that one and dismissed it but you are right maybe that is him!!!  How exciting!!  Surely too much of a coincidence! 
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 January 21 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Harris Pollard was in Worcestershire from 1861

He's in Shoreditch in 1871.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 January 21 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Think just a coincidence - Thomas Harris Pollard was in Worcestershire from 1861.

Annette

Yes but the boys were born in 1864 onwards, so it is possible surely
Sue
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 January 21 14:09 GMT (UK) »

Annette

In 1871 there is a Martha Pollard at West Street Hackney, Dressmaker, so not sure if this is her or not it says she is the daughter but the Head is Ridge.  So I do not know if this is her.  Previously she stated Milliner/Dressmaker so it could be her.
I am thinking Harris sons are a coincidence as there is the Baptism with Pollard on why would she then register births as Harris!  Maybe I should pay for a PDF just to see as you suggest Annette!
[/quote

Martha was clearly economical with the truth - she was not a widow named Pollard when she married Moodey, her 2 sons baptised as Pollard but no births as Pollard, indeed births were registered as Harris (mmn Merle).   Nor marriage of Martha to a Harris or Pollard either.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 January 21 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Well I will see when the birth certificate arrives who the father is on there!  But at least I am not going mad.  Although where were the boys in the 1871 census that is still a mystery!
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker