Author Topic: Turner Hall - Ellon  (Read 2539 times)

Offline MelW66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Turner Hall - Ellon
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 03:49 BST (UK) »
Oh wow, that is a brilliant find! Thank you for that. I'm very excited by this.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 June 22 09:29 BST (UK) »
Looking at the index of deaths on ScotlandsPeople, the maiden name of the mother of the George "Brichen" whose death was registered in Ellon in 1881, aged 84, was "Adams".

The index also shows a marriage for George "Brichen" and Margaret "Adam" recorded in Ellon on 15-4-1786. They must have come from different parishes, as there is also a record for George "Brechin" and Margaret "Adam" in Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire, on 4-5-1786. The dates differ depending on what is recorded - the initial intention to marry, the reading of banns, or the marriage itself.

Offline MelW66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 June 22 16:06 BST (UK) »
Monica, I just realised the information you had asked about here...
"Are these George Jnr's details here www.bayanne.info/Shetland/getperson.php?personID=I493763&tree=ID1" was the information that I supplied to them! I sent them a family tree from the research that I had done. Which means if i got any of it wrong, then so did they. So not a great resource for me because it would work like an echo chamber.

Offline hmox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 August 22 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi - My grandmother, Jane Milne (nee Donald) gave birth to her oldest son, Ewing Milne at Kirkhowe, Turnerhall, Ellon in 1925.  Would you know who owned the Hall at that time, and/or was it set up as a hospital at that time?

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 August 22 08:13 BST (UK) »
The Hall was not a hospital. The Turner family did not reside there all the time. In fact the Hall was demolished in 1933.

The place you are looking at is a small farm (then about 44 acres) called Little Kirkhowe. It was part of the Turnerhall estate. The tenant in 1925 was Robert Donald. I wonder if that was her father and she had gone home to have her first child. Most children were born at home, not in hospital, at that time.

The advertisement in the Aberdeen Daily Journal (1-12-1920) says that offers for the tenancy have to be made by 24th December with entry at Whitsunday 1921. That will have been when Robert Donald took over the tenancy.

This map shows Little Kirkhowe near the top. Turnerhall itself is not far away:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/74479901

Offline hmox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 August 22 11:13 BST (UK) »
Many thanks GR2 for your reply.  Jane's father was Robert Donald, her mother Elsie Anderson, had died in 1919. We knew that Robert worked at Kirkhowe and we have a photo of the house, so its good to know it was part of the Turnerhall Estate.  That would be right, Jane would have had the baby at home, as my grandparents did not marry for another year afterwards.  They then immigrated to Australia where we all live. Robert and Elsie were at Mains of Esslemont before that.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 August 22 08:48 BST (UK) »
The 1920 valuation roll shows Robert Donald working as a farm servant at Mains of Esslemont.

It was quite common for someone to work as a farm servant for a number of years and then take on the tenancy of a small farm. The 1925 valuation roll shows Robert Donald as tenant and occupier of "Farm and house, Kirkhill, Little". He rents it from the trustees of the late John Turner of Turnerhall, per Davidson and Garden*, 12 Dee Street, Aberdeen, for £68 1/3d a year.

* the firm of solicitors that handled estate business

Offline hmox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 August 22 02:36 BST (UK) »
Many thanks GR2 for that information.  Robert eventually moved on to Quarrybrae, Auchedly, where he passed in 1966. He was the youngest of 10 children, which we have only just found out about recently.  Certainly been an exciting journey for us.