Author Topic: percentage clarification  (Read 178 times)

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
percentage clarification
« on: Friday 15 January 21 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

A bit confused about something and I would appreciate some advice

According to my results, I am 35% scottish, which is not huge, but quite significant as it means I am a third scottish.

However looking at my family history, I have gone back nine generations and none of them are from scotland.

I think my ancestors were from scotland as my surname is listed as a sept of clan gordon, but I heard once that 35% means a close relative within a few generations.

How is the percentage so high yet there are no relatives from scotland within ten generations?

any opinions would be appreciated

thanks

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
Re: percentage clarification
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 21 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The ethnicity percentages are just an estimate and I would suggest should be taken with a fairly large pinch of salt! They change as the number of people testing increases and the companies have more data to play with.

I recently acquired 16% Scottish on Ancestry - I have no known Scottish ancestry and none of my other tests on other sites have suggested I am even a tiny % Scottish! Neither of my parents have any Scottish though.

At one point Mum was 100% Swedish - we were amused - it's true though that she has some Danish / German (the border moved) ancestry on paper but as far back and including her 2 x GG parents were all born here in Sussex. She has now lost most of her "Swedish" and is more what we would expect!

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Norfolk (Morgan), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey, Morgan), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sirsimon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: percentage clarification
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 January 21 16:42 GMT (UK) »
thanks liz