Author Topic: And about time too!  (Read 1089 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
And about time too!
« on: Friday 15 January 21 18:01 GMT (UK) »
At last, restrictions on incoming personnel.

Let's hope it also applies to those leaving!  :-\

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55681861
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: And about time too!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 21 18:06 GMT (UK) »
But why not just close the airports?!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 January 21 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Doh - that might be a bit too easy!  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 January 21 18:32 GMT (UK) »
But why not just close the airports?!
Because then the aeroplanes would have nowhere to land.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 January 21 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Quoting from a BBC article (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55659926):

The Home Office said the committee behind the inquiry was "incorrect in their assertions".

It said keeping borders open helped businesses to maintain international connections, boosted the economy and meant people could still travel for essential reasons.

My emphasis! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 January 21 19:51 GMT (UK) »
A lot of our fruit and veg comes by cargo 747. International post comes into Langley (next to Heathrow). A million letters and parcels go through Langley Customs and Excise, every day. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 January 21 20:06 GMT (UK) »
A million letters and parcels go through Langley Customs and Excise, every day. 

Regards 

Chas

A decade ago I sent a birthday card to one of my grandsons, whose birthday was in three weeks time and who lived on one of the Dutch Colonies in the Caribbearn.

I was told at the Post Office that it would take a week to arrive.  I handed over £11+ and as the clerk had said I could track the card I logged in daily to the PO website.  The first mention of it arriving anywhere was the south coast of England one week later.  It was still languishing on the English coast a further seven days later. Grandson didn't receive his card in time for his birthday - it was the first and last time I sent him a card by snailmail.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 January 21 06:39 GMT (UK) »
A million letters and parcels go through Langley Customs and Excise, every day. 

Regards 

Chas

A decade ago I sent a birthday card to one of my grandsons, whose birthday was in three weeks time and who lived on one of the Dutch Colonies in the Caribbearn.

I was told at the Post Office that it would take a week to arrive.  I handed over £11+ and as the clerk had said I could track the card I logged in daily to the PO website.  The first mention of it arriving anywhere was the south coast of England one week later.  It was still languishing on the English coast a further seven days later. Grandson didn't receive his card in time for his birthday - it was the first and last time I sent him a card by snailmail.

A bit off topic but similar as time taken to travel long distances across the world

I bought a little 2 month old KIA ex-demo city car £2500 below full price in 2017 - To cut a long story short a small bus pulled out as I was passing it, the full near side of the car was damaged that needed a new door that had the car vin plate on it. The repair shop was a local car dealer for Ford who ordered a new plate from South Korea, telling me it would take 28 days, this was in February 2018, being illegal really to use the car without it, I traded it in at the dealership another car and in December 2018 a lady from the Ford repair shop office told me the Vin plate had arrived and after informing her I had sold the car to their garage - She asked me what should she do with the Vin plate. ask your boss I said.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

guest141721

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 January 21 10:19 GMT (UK) »
"it was the first and last time I sent him a card by snailmail."

Rena, I have an instance where the exact opposite happened. Mind you this is back in the seventies when both Britain and Sweden had postal systems that worked.

My then future father in law sent a letter to his daughter (now my wife)  who was an au-pair in north London. He posted the letter in his home town near Stockholm on a Friday afternoon and the letter was delivered the following morning postmarked 4.30pm.

Has to be a world record for international mail.