Author Topic: Information about THOMAS FRANK AMIES deceased of Robertsbridge Sussex  (Read 744 times)

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information about THOMAS FRANK AMIES deceased of Robertsbridge Sussex
« on: Friday 15 January 21 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Can somebody help me please. 

I have been trying to identify a man who in some way was associated with my Father: GEORGE ALFRED WILLARD and/or his brother: ROY WILLARD.

My Father George Willard was born November 1911 in Robertsbridge, Sussex and died in 1997 at the Conquest Hospital, Hastings, Sussex.  His brother Roy was born in 1920 in Robertsbridge and died in Tonbridge Hospital, Kent in 1944.

The man I am interested in was: THOMAS FRANK AMIES born c.1914 Robertsbridge, Sussex, son of HENRY J. AMIES and ANNA AMIES nee WINCHESTER and brother to REGINALD JOHN AMIES (who was known as JACK AMIES and was a Barber in village of Robertsbridge).

I only know that THOMAS AMIES in 1937 at Salehurst Parish Church, married MADGE RUMMERY,  after that period I can find no further information.

I am creating a 'Family History' of the WILLARD's including photographs of: Family Members, Friends, Work and Sport associates and other Documents. 

I have a photo of Roy Willard (my uncle) with Thomas Amies.  This would have been taken between 1940 and 1944.

One of my Aunts, who is 85 years of age identified to me THOMAS AMIES in the photo, but was unable to recall much else about him.

I would appreciate if anybody had any information about THOMAS AMIES, no matter how little, just to enable me to have an understanding of his life.  Out of interest the AMIES family lived about 30 yards away from my home and I have a photograph of Jack Amies with my two brothers on his knees taken c.1939-1940.  Jack Amies used to cut my hair.

Thank you

Roy Willard

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Information about THOMAS FRANK AMIES deceased of Robertsbridge Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 21 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

Have you checked the 1939 Register to confirm their ages/dob and where they were living?

I think this is Madge Amies' death:
Age 84
Birth Date: 17 Nov 1915
Registration Date: Jan 2000
Registration District: North Yorkshire

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 January 21 20:53 GMT (UK) »
FreeBMD has 3 Amies births, with a mother's maiden name of Rummery.
Can't name them as they may still be alive?!

1938 in Cranbrook Registration District.
1940 in Ryedale RD.
1946 in Ryedale RD.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 January 21 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Was Thomas's birth registered as Frank Thomas Amies in 1914? There is a birth for a Frank T Amies (mother's maiden name Winchester) in 2nd Qrt 1914, Ticehurst, Sussex (vol. 2b/ pg. 172).

There is a death for a Frank Thomas Amies b. 1914 in 1991 in Ryedale, Yorks (which locationwise would fit with the birth mentioned by KGarrad).

Monica

Added: Roy, if you can access (you need a subs), there is a family tree for Frank Thomas and wife Madge www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/1627975/person/312129223867/facts

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 January 21 19:51 GMT (UK) »
MonicaL and KGarrad

Thank you both for the information.
I had looked at the 1939 War Register and saw: a Thomas F Amies and Madge Amies living at The Lodge, Sheriff Hutton, North Riding, Yorkshire. 

What confused me, was that my photograph of my uncle: Roy Willard with Thomas Amies was taken in Robertsbridge between late 1940 and before December 1944.  With the country on a 'war footing' I was not too sure how or why Thomas would have travelled south from Yorkshire to Robertsbridge, unless he was in the Armed Forces. 

Roy Willard was in 1940 with my Father George Willard in 5th Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment.  In the fighting Roy had been wounded in the arm, my Father 'somehow' managed to get his brother to Dunkirk where he (Roy) was evacuated back to England.  My father a short while later was captured near Arras and became a POW for the next five years.

In 1941 Roy Willard was medically discharged from the Army and it is from about that time he may have seen Thomas Amies in Robertsbridge, having stated that almost certainly before the War he would have known and been friendly with Thomas, in social and sporting events.

Again thank you for your help, I will let you know of my progress.  Monica with regard to the 'link' you provided I have a friend who may be able to help me with that aspect.

Kind regards
Roy
Roy Willard

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 January 21 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy

Have a google of the Lodge where Thomas was as a butler after his marriage (such as here https://theoldlodgemalton.co.uk/aboutus/). Now a hotel. Beautiful building still  :)

Monica

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 January 21 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica
Roy

Offline Samies

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 July 21 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy

This is my grandad - if I can help at all please let me know - I would love to see the picture

Kind regards

Sally

Offline RoyW46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 July 21 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Sally

I have not been 'active' on Rootschat for a while, so I have only just read your 'Post'.
How do I contact you, I cannot remember if I am allowed to put my email address on a 'Post'.
Certainly I can send you the photograph.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards
Roy