Author Topic: General query re conveyance  (Read 301 times)

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
General query re conveyance
« on: Friday 15 January 21 23:44 GMT (UK) »

Kia ora

I have this information and I am not sure what it really means, is it a land transfer and if so why are there two dates, is on the original time the land was bought?  Perhaps someone can explain this too me.

Nga mihi
Bronwen
Aotearoa

Withyham Sussex FILE - Conveyance - ref. AMS5789/55 - date: 4 June 1472 [from Scope and Content] John Saxpays of Withyham Sussex to his son John Saxpays, John Allfray and John Burges junior His right in Hale Tenement [in Withyham Sussex] once Johne atte Hamme's in which JS (with Thomas Sessyngham deceased) was enfeoffed by JH's son William atte Hamme to whom they had descended after the death of his mother, Margery W: Walter Hoope, William Boyle, William atte Hamme, John Polly, Richard Aleyn Related Material [In 1598 the tenement was held by John Saxbies and bounded to the S on Balfinches Mead: tenement once Scarlet in Withyham Sussex (atte Wood-Saxby), 1463; The Hale in Withyham Sussex (Saxby), 1472; probate of John Saxby of Etchingham, land in Ticehurst and Goudhurst, 1595 Reference: AMS5789/32 Probate (PCC) of will (8 July 1594) of John Saxbye of Etchingham yeoman Creation dates: 12 Feb 1595 Scope and Content Pecuniary or chattel bequests to Margery wife of Thomas Roper, daughter-in-law Elizabeth Chatley, Margery wife of Robert Thomas, Robert Thomas eldest son of RT, youngest son Thomas Saxbie at 21, servant Thomas Saxbie, poor of Etchingham Copyhold at Ticehurst to son TS; lands at Goudhurst to eldest son Walter Saxbie Wife Joan&son WS executors. W: William Holland, Thomas Wood, John Robson

Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh