Author Topic: Bureaucracy gone mad?  (Read 1789 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bureaucracy gone mad?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 January 21 09:13 GMT (UK) »
In one of my (in)frequent spats with the local Planning Dept I was getting nowhere with my request for information on a particular matter, a simple explanation would have sufficed.But no, and I persisted to the point where the officer felt obliged to send an internal e-mail to her supervisor saying "This man is being a nuisance and won't take no for an answer, how can I get him off my back?"
Unfortunately when she sent the message she also copied it to me!  $%^&(*%$"!!! :o
A couple of weeks and she was no longer working there.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 January 21 18:47 GMT (UK) »
My brother is blind.  He has had both eyes removed following an accident.  He has a certificate to say he is registered blind and a letter from a Consultant at Moorfields Hospital saying he (the Consultant) has removed both eyes.  The benefits officer insisted on sending some young lad around to 'check' that my brother is blind.  He already had a copy of the certificate and the letter from the Consultant but needed 'to see for himself'.  My brother said he could look at his eyes but on no account was he to touch them due to cross-infection.  The lad looked at his eyes (I don't know what he expected to see), then said, yes, i agree, you are blind.  My brother later received a letter accepting that he was blind - but not in braille.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 January 21 19:09 GMT (UK) »
That is atrocious ,
Not so serious but very insensitive ,” Do you need this letter in large
print or Braille ?”
And often the print is almost pastel coloured and very small, soooo!
How on earth could someone with the requirement(s) mentioned read the
letter ‘s offer?
Sheer idiocy.
Viktoria.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 January 21 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Don't you have a current affair or 60 minutes type programme on one of the TV channels, which take on the sort of garbage that the "bureaucracy" dish out to people?

"You and Yours", a daily lunchtime programme on BBC Radio 4 has been on air for 50 years.
Cowban

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I came across a bit of unthinking bureaucracy when applying for PIP.  I made it clear that as I am deaf contact is either via email or text message.

What happens?  I get a phone call  :o  Absolutely useless for a deaf person.  My son had to phone the number that appeared.  It was to make an appointment in connection with my application.

Even when I went for that appointment I took a friend and just as well, as a very lovely Jamaican lady was doing the interview, but I struggled to understand her.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire