Author Topic: Grant aliases in the Kirkmichael and Tomintoul Area - Grant alias Brown?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline ablanchishere

• RootsChat Extra
  • I hope you're having a lovely day.
    • View Profile
Grant aliases in the Kirkmichael and Tomintoul Area - Grant alias Brown?
« on: Saturday 16 January 21 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I've had a look through existing posts on the Grant family in the Tomintoul and Kirkmichael area, but haven't seen anything that might help me out with my conundrum here. It stems from research relating to my previous post about the place name Gullergreen:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=841692.msg7080716#msg7080716

The Grants seemed to have used a great number of aliases; some more than others. My Grants appear to have used the alias Brown in the 1800s. I have not been able to track further back than that time period.

Does anyone recognise the Grant alias Brown?

It does not appear to be one of the more commonly-used aliases by the Grants, and I have had no luck so far tracing it in any of the genealogies or sites so far (admittedly, I have not gone through all of them in great depth).

The alias first appears in my research within baptism records from the Kirkmichael and Tomintoul area:

• 29th May 1813 Isabel, daughter to Peter Grant alias Brown by Isabel Grant his spouse
    (Although there are other Grants on the same page, none use the alias Brown)
  • 6th July 1816 Grace, daughter to Peter Grant Brown Ballagan(?) by Isabel Grant his spouse.
    (Although there are other Grants on the same page, none use the alias Brown)
  • 29th Sep 1819 Charles Grant, son of Peter Grant (Brown) in Gullergreen by Isobel Grant
    (Again, although there are other Grants on the same page, none use the alias Brown)

In 1870, in a death register from Tomintoul, Grace is listed as 'Grace Grant alias Brown', and her parents Peter Grant alias Brown and Isabella Grant nee Grant.

Later in 1890, New Pitsligo, Aberdeenshire, the death register for Charles Grant includes no mention to the alias Brown (although it seems that Isabella Grant's maiden name is McIntosh? A sometimes-used alias of the Grants...).

If anyone is familiar with this alias or knows of further resources I can sift through, that would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, if it helps identify the relevant Grants, the Grant connection comes through an Isabella Grant who married a William Hutcheson in 1870. Her parents were Charles Grant (born 1819) and Mary McGregor (born to Alexander McGregor and Grace Cameron in 1820). I am stuck at Charles' father, Peter Grant alias Brown.

Many Thanks,

Ashley from Australia
  ;D

Scottish:
1/Maternal (Tomintoul/Kirkmichael, Knockando/Aberlour, New Pitsligo, Tyrie) - Grant alias Brown, alias McIntosh, McGregor, Cameron, Farquharson.
2/Maternal (Fraserburgh, Broadsea) - Noble, May, Masson, Stephen, Crawford, Ritchie, Gardner, Thomson, Summers.
3/Maternal (Banff, MacDuff, New Pitsligo) - Hutcheson, Hendry.
4/Maternal (Edinburgh) - Wilson.
5/Paternal (Fife) - Myles, Black, Aitken, Bennet, Younger, Latta, Paterson, Adamson.

Offline camcam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grant aliases in the Kirkmichael and Tomintoul Area - Grant alias Brown?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 March 21 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I just came across this today while revisiting some old files

and Yes I have that Peter Grant/Brown in one of our lines, I had been stuck there about 10 years ag too, and then lost my research files  ???

in Tomintoul (Kirkmichael) at that time there was 2 things going on, 1 was that were so many Grant families they used Tee-Names (aliases/patronymics).. the other was that that there was Highlanders who had taken part in the rebellion who had changed their names to "hide". In the small communities a changed name didn't mean much  as everyone knew who belonged to which family and the tee-name was a way for them unofficially know which family was which.

However once they travelled a bit further afield, whether that was 20, 50 miles or across an ocean then quite often their new name stuck (as that is all the children could remember when giving parents names for marriages etc) whereas those at home knew the original name, but then they, the ones at home, too did not know their extended family has chosen the new name an they lost touch so here we are  ;D

I'm still in Northeast Scotland and even I can't figure them out! I'm tracing Camerons and Campbells, well trying to, and it's a nightmare!!

I had Peter Grant or Brown, married to a Grace (yes Grace) Grant ms: Brown from one record, however now reading all the new information online ince I last looked at this line, what I think  is that Grace ms: Brown is Isabella (Grace) Grant .. i.e. it was a Grant married a Grant and in order to differentiate that's where the Brown Came in, not sure which one of them was the original Brown but it was always usually the male who took the patronymic .. then add that to the fact that anyone would use their first or middle name (or nickname) then I'm fairly sure the family is

Peter Grant (or Brown)  m: Isabella Grant (or Grace Grant)

I have them with 4 children (all born in Kirkmichael, Banffshire)
Mary b: 1811
Isabel b: 1813
Grace b: 1816
Charles b: 1819

could be more if they moved just after 1819

Isabel moved to Tarland/Strathdon (as did a lot of folk from Kirkmichael/Tomintoul)
Charles moved a little further afield, but just in the other direction (more Northeast than stick in the Whisky still hills)

I don't know about the other 2

Offline ablanchishere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 23 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Camcam,

Sorry, I only just logged back on after some time offline. I greatly appreciate your response - it is nice to know that someone else has looked at this family too. I think there is at least a 2nd Grant alias Brown family in the area at the time with a Peter Grant too. I'll include info I have below. I hope it can be of assistance to you.

Kirkmichael = KM

Early Marriages - KM OPR
Peter Grant, Fodderletta & Mary Grant, Inveravon married 2/6/1800.
Peter Brown, Soldier, Belaggan & Mary Grant, married 23/10/1800.

Children in OPRs
1. William, Peter Brown, Belaggan, & Mary Grant 10/5/1801.
2. James, Peter Brown Grant, Belaggan & Mary Grant 21/8/1803.
3. Sophia, Peter Brown alias Grant, Belaggen, & Isobel Grant 15/4/1804.
4. Ann, Peter Brown alias Grant, soldier, & Mary Grant 11/3/1807.
5. Patrick, Peter Grant Bualranick, Mary Grant 21/7/1809.
6. Mary, Peter Grant alias Brown & Isabella Grant 3/3/1811.
7. John, Peter Grant & Mary Grant, Bualranich 20/8/1811.
8. Isabel, Peter Grant alias Brown & Isabel Grant 29/5/1813.
9. Charles, Peter Grant & Mary Grant, Bualranach 17/8/1814.
10. Grace, Peter Grant Brown & Isabel Grant. Ballagan 9/7/1816.
11. Sarah, Peter Grant alias Brown, Bualnarich & Mary Grant 18/3/1818.
12. Charles, Peter Grant Brown, Gullergreen & Isobel Grant 5/10/1819.

I tentatively draw 2 groupings from these:
1. Bellagan: William, James, Sophia, Ann, Mary, Isabel, Grace, Charles. The mother is 'Mary' & 'Isobel'.
2. Bualranich: Patrick, John, Charles, Sarah.

Related Marriages/Deaths
1. Isabel/Isabella & John Downie. Dies aged 72 in Corgarff. Parents are listed as Peter Grant, Ferryboat-man & Grace Grant M.S. Brown. 26/12/1891.
2. John Grant & Ann Forbes. He dies 13/10/1895 in Lyngarrie, KM. Parents listed as Peter Grant (Crofter) & Mary Grant.
3. Charles Grant at Auchorachan, Inveravon aged 29 & Mary McGrigor (KM) marry few days before 1841 census. In the census, they live at Bush of Auchnarrow. Charles Grant died in New Pitsligo, aged 72. Parents listed as Peter Grant (Gen Labourer) & Isabella Grant nee McIntosh. 9/8/1890. The informant is my direct ancestor, daughter Isabella Hutcheson, who lived in Rosehearty.
4. Sophia Brown dies aged 47 in Tomintoul. 30/3/1851. She was an unmarried pauper. Since she dies before 1855, it did not record her parents.
5. A Peter Grant dies, aged 76, at Boat Croft of Balluntruan (KM). 28/6/1856. Parents: Peter Grant & Ann Christie. Informant was Peter Grant, son (I have not found probable records for the son). Buried in the Churchyard of KM.

My tentative hypotheses from this information:
1. The Peter Grant who is a ferry boatman is also the one who died at Boat Croft.
2. McIntosh could be an error in the death cert for Charles Grant, but it could also be an alias.

Charles Grant & Mary McGregor
1. Alexander McGregor Grant (c 1841/3) moves to Lanarkshire. Interestingly, his death cert (aged 85 in 1925) lists Charles Grant as a Distillery Worker. On Isabella's marriage cert it lists Charles Grant as a Servant at Brewery. I have been unable to locate the exact Brewery, but it was passed down orally through the family that there was some indirect connect to Grant whisky.
2. Robert (c 1847) marries Mary Kelman. Dies in Chile.
3. Isabella (1849) marries William Hutcheson.
4. Charles (1855) settles in Western Australia.
5. According to another record I have (still trying to find it again), Mary & Charles had four living children in 1855 (three boys, 1 girl) and one girl who had died. Tracking unknown siblings may give more info on the parents (census, death certs, place of birth).

Other Events - Brushes with the law
1. In 1853, Peter Grant alias Brown from Boat Croft of KM is not guilty of fishing illegally in the water of Lochy. Probably the same Peter who dies in 1856?
2. In 1853, a John Grant or Brown in Cairnday, Inveravon, was found guilty of trespass in pursuit of game at Shand's Hall, Dufftown. I suspect this is the same John Brown Grant aged 23, convicted of sheep-stealing at Auchorachan Farm, residing in Cavindey, Glenlivet (born KM). Was sentenced to 12m imprisonment at the General Prison in Perth in 1860. I haven't found Cavindey/Ciarnday, I suspect it is in gaelic on the old maps.
3. A Charles Grant alias Brown was charged with Assault in Banff but there were no proceedings. 1/12/1841. Unsure of relation.
4. Grace Grant has a child out of wedlock (John) and pleads guilty to exposure. Sheriff sentences her to 6wk in the Prison of Banff. There is a dispute between Kirk Sessions of Inveravon (where John was left) & KM as to care/costs of the child. By 1851, John is living with Grace in KM. According to Session Minutes, John was left outside the door of Peter Grant in Milton of Tombrachachie (Tombreakachy). Unsure if related. Grace named the father as John Grant, soldier. I think it is probably the John Grant living in Tombreachachie Stable Loft in the 1841 census. She dies unmarried aged 57. 7/7/1870. Parents listed as Peter Grant alias Brown & Isabella MS Grant. Both deceased.
Scottish:
1/Maternal (Tomintoul/Kirkmichael, Knockando/Aberlour, New Pitsligo, Tyrie) - Grant alias Brown, alias McIntosh, McGregor, Cameron, Farquharson.
2/Maternal (Fraserburgh, Broadsea) - Noble, May, Masson, Stephen, Crawford, Ritchie, Gardner, Thomson, Summers.
5/Paternal (Fife) - Myles, Black, Aitken, Bennet, Younger, Latta, Paterson, Adamson.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 February 23 09:55 GMT (UK) »

Later in 1890, New Pitsligo, Aberdeenshire, the death register for Charles Grant includes no mention to the alias Brown (although it seems that Isabella Grant's maiden name is McIntosh? A sometimes-used alias of the Grants...).

Re the mother's maiden surname being given as McIntosh rather than Grant, it is not unusual to find errors with the names of parents on death certificates. It all depends on the knowledge of the informant. Even a grandchild might not know their grandparents' names, especially if they had died some time ago or lived in a different area.

Offline ablanchishere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 01:03 GMT (UK) »

Re the mother's maiden surname being given as McIntosh rather than Grant, it is not unusual to find errors with the names of parents on death certificates. It all depends on the knowledge of the informant. Even a grandchild might not know their grandparents' names, especially if they had died some time ago or lived in a different area.

Yes, I do think that is quite possible.

I have only found one reference to McIntosh as a maiden name, and I do not think that Peter & Mary Grant/Brown moved with the family from Banffshire to Aberdeenshire in the 1840s. Isabella, the informant, may not have even met Mary/Isabella Grant, but I am not sure of when she died. I have evidence of the in-laws of Charles Grant, the McGregors, moving to New Pitsligo, but not the Grants.

Will have to keep looking in other records to try and clear this up!

I live in Australia, which makes it difficult to access some records, but the digitised records for the areas I am looking into are still great. Do you have any recommendations for where to look for Kirkmichael/New Pitsligo records? I've looked through a lot of the info on ScotlandsPeoples.

Ashley
(Australia)
Scottish:

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 February 23 09:29 GMT (UK) »
The majority of the records are to be found on ScotlandsPeople. Otherwise, there are published books of transcriptions of the monumental inscriptions in many of the graveyards in the north east of Scotland and there is always the possibility of the newspapers containing something of interest. With newspaper searches, don't just search for a person's name, but also try other angles, such as searching for the name of a farm, for example, where they lived.

Offline camcam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 March 24 11:16 GMT (UK) »

Yes, I do think that is quite possible.

I have only found one reference to McIntosh as a maiden name, and I do not think that Peter & Mary Grant/Brown moved with the family from Banffshire to Aberdeenshire in the 1840s. Isabella, the informant, may not have even met Mary/Isabella Grant, but I am not sure of when she died. I have evidence of the in-laws of Charles Grant, the McGregors, moving to New Pitsligo, but not the Grants.

Will have to keep looking in other records to try and clear this up!

I live in Australia, which makes it difficult to access some records, but the digitised records for the areas I am looking into are still great. Do you have any recommendations for where to look for Kirkmichael/New Pitsligo records? I've looked through a lot of the info on ScotlandsPeoples.

Ashley
(Australia)

My turn to apologise now, I too have been off this trail for a while but have just came back across it in regards to Charles, and wondering about the McIntosh (likely alias) too.

however you asked about other sources of info, have you seen the "freereg" site yet?

it's very useful especially for Kirkmichael/Banffshire sources, as someone has been very diligent (Rosemary Skea?)  more so if the transcriber thought to transcribe the "Abode/address" or added notes/ aliases in the note section.

e.g. ref your Colourgreen question which (thank you for asking and to the person who pinpointed an answer for you!) can be seen on this transcription:

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817b06ee93790ec8bf467d4/charles-grant-baptism-banffshire-kirkmichael-1819-10-05?locale=en

the freereg site is transcribed by volunteers so is not perfect however it is human knowledge that comes through from it too. e,g, If you then use it to search for Peter Brown (for example) and then also Peter Grant.. and tick the in family members box in the search it can give a very big clue as to other names to search in the official (ScotlandsPeople) records.

I do tend to agree with you on your findings.. The Brown/Grants did not move to New Pitsligo, but did move to Strathdon..

the McGregors did move to New Pitsligo, and thankfully the family remained close there so there are a lot of census and birth records to go on once you know they're there. However talking about aliases, I very much suspect that Alexander McGregor was born and lived under an alias (due to McGregor proscription)  and that alias could well have been Grant!

so daughter Mary McGregor who then married the Charles Grant, who gives his mothers' maiden name as McIntosh on his death record probably knew each other distantly because of the Kirkmichael/Tomintoul connection, and Charles' family were a little fragmented anyway.. anywhich way all roads lead back to Grants.

the "Brown" Grants were likely named because they came from the Glen Brown area of Tomintoul/Kirkmichael, I've seen other Grants using the name Taylor due to the occupation (Tailor) especially in the new planned village 1775 of Tomintoul which encouraged people with trades, not sure where McIntosh would have come from but it is a known Grant alias in the area, it's quite likely one of those things that only close family would have known who or why. Females didn't tend to carry their father's alias past their marriage if they married someone of the "same surname"

So perhaps the registrant of Charles' death was actually correct in giving his mother's maiden name as McIntosh (even if it was an alias) i.e. they knew Peter was the "male Grant" and that Isabel/la was a Grant too (perhaps completely unrelated), but Isabel/la although having been born a Grant had never used, or known, that surname being born to a father who used the McIntosh alias (unofficially/locally) and she then never used the alias because it was her husband Peter's alias (Brown) that took over on her children's records, so she got her Grant name back.

In this period (before official documention, or at least providing the bare minimum) the family still held the "old ways" of knowing each others' families, and there was so much that went uspoken or documented as to who was who..

a lot of conjecture in there I know, but sadly it's this type of information that was not recorded officially but does make for the fun puzzle we all like to dip in/out of :D I think our ancestors would be laughing knowing that even AI can't fix this haha!!