Author Topic: WWI newspapers  (Read 1114 times)

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: WWI newspapers
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 January 21 20:09 GMT (UK) »
There is another newspaper article But names Frank Norman Sweet it says about how he tried to save the life of Captain Ward Hunt. I have the original but it's over 100 years old and difficult to read

It is Frank Norman Sweet and although he was in the Northamptonshire regimen he was born in Millman Street, Holbor and his family still lived there when he died, The cutting I have is a column, mentioning he was a sparring partner of Bombadier Billy Wells

Basil William Sweet was Frank Norman Sweet's younger brother

Frank Norman Sweet died trying to save the man in the photo
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lemw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Frank Norman Sweet and his brother Basil William Sweet were both born in Millman Street in Holborn. The News article I have shows a photo of both Frank Norman Sweet and Captain Ward Hunt whose address was Mecklenberg Square. I don't know why they were in the Northamptonshire regiment but so was Captain Ward Hunt. The article also talks about Frank Norman being a sparring partner of Bombadier Billy Wells the Lonsdale Belt holder

Offline Lemw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 06:43 GMT (UK) »
I think the OP is referring to Captain George Ward Hunt and Private Frank Norman Sweet, service number 9042, who were both killed in action while serving with the 2nd Battalion of the Northhamptonshire Regiment on Sunday, 9 May 1915, at the Battle of Aubers Ridge.

I'd suggest that you're probably looking for local papers in the Northhampton area, the British Newspaper Archive and presumably also Findmypast seem to have a collection of local papers from Northampton for the right time period.

Having said that, CWGC indicates that his mother was Mrs Kate Florence Miller, living at 1 Millman Place, Bedford Row, Holborn, London. Where was he born and brought up?
I would like to find out which newspaper carried a report on my great uncle Frank Norman Sweet and Captain Ward Hunt
   Frank Norman and his brother Basil William were both born in Millman Street, Holborn and even Captain Ward Hunt was living in Mecklenberg Square which is the same area

Offline Stebie9173

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 April 21 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hello lemw,

I think this is the article you are looking at. It is from the Northampton Independent of 26-6-1915:

Researching : Beeby (Titchmarsh / Peterborough), Brooksbank (Peterborough), Northamptonshire Regiment 1914-1918

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 April 21 15:22 BST (UK) »
I have gone though the "Stanley News" a County Durham Newspaper for that time
[/quote]

May I ask if the Stanley News are available to view online? If so, where?