Author Topic: Robert Grice - bc. 1763-1770 - Prescot?  (Read 265 times)

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
Robert Grice - bc. 1763-1770 - Prescot?
« on: Saturday 16 January 21 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm trying to track down the birth/baptism of Robert Grice.  He married Martha Holden/Holding (born Great Sankey) on 3rd Feb 1789 in Prescot.  They had several children in Great Sankey.

Several people have him as being baptised to Robert and Mary Grice at St Mary Prescot, stating that he was baptised on 25th February 1770, having been born on 7th February 1770.

However (and there is always a however) he is listed on the 1841 census in Sankey, as being aged 75 (so born 1761-1766).  Martha is there, too, listed as being aged 70 (which would work for her 1767 birth).

In addition, a likely death/burial record available for Robert Grice in Sankey in September 1841, states his age as being 78, which would fit with the gentleman on the 1841 census.

I am yet to find an alternative baptism for a Robert Grice, but I'm not certain that the 1770 one fits.  Any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks!
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)

Offline michaelcharles

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Grice - bc. 1763-1770 - Prescot?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 21 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello! I notice that Robert Grice was married to Mary Halsall at St. Mary's, Prescot on April 22, 1768. Assuming that these are Robert's parents, then the 1770 baptism fits. Perhaps at the time of the 1841 Census he 'mis-remembered' his age. Happens to us all!

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 January 21 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emsworthy, I’m sorry that I can’t help with locating a baptism closer to the 1761-66 period you’re interested in, but I did look at options and hope that the following is of some interest, if you don’t already have it.

In case you don’t have it for your records, I see that Robert and Martha were married at St Luke, Farnworth rather than Prescot town itself, which would normally be at St Mary the Virgin.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

Marriage: 3 Feb 1789 St Luke (formerly St Wilfrid), Farnworth (Widnes), Lancashire, England
Robert Grice - (X), Husbandman, Farnworth near Prescot
Martha Holding - (X), Spinster, Farnworth near Prescot
    Witness: John Hall; Peter Shaw
    Married by Banns by: Thomas Moss Minister
    Register: Marriages 1781 - 1812, Page 55, Entry 978
    Source: LDS Film 1655235 item 4

If Robert was born 7 Feb 1770 (as per baptism record) and married 3 Feb 1789, he would have been just under 19 years of age, whilst Martha was 21?  I’ve only seen the transcript of their marriage but there is no mention of Robert being a minor, if that was the requirement at that time.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-8613.html
“As for parental consent this was only briefly required between 1753 & 1823 before this and after consent should be obtained but the marriage was neither void nor voidable if no consent had been obtained.”

I wonder if another RootsChatter can confirm the requirements for registering of a ‘minor’ at marriage in 1789.

Quite sad that on their marriage in 1789 Robert is recorded as a ‘Husbandman’ but by the birth of their first child John in 1790, he is recorded as a ‘Pauper’.  Wonder what happened there?

In the 1841c Robert and Martha are living on Stocks Lane and it looks as if son Richard aged 33 with his family were living close by on Meeting Lane?

Stocks Lane, Warrington to St. Luke's Church, Pit Ln, Widnes WA8 9HU - Google Maps

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Stocks+Ln,+Warrington/@53.3866377,-2.6642006,15.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487b02c608485641:0x4b3454001036be6f!8m2!3d53.3877638!4d-2.6643068

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101104388

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344129

I hope someone else is able to help further.

Kit

Edit: sorry but the links are not working.  I'll see what I can do to amend that.
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Emsworthy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Bert & Ernie...we love you!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 21 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information - I did have some of it, but other bits have helped me add to their stories! :)
~Census Transcriptions, Crown Copyright, National Archives~<br /><br />All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Warner (Essex) Edgley (Suffolk) Blake & Sparrowhawk (Lambeth) Hall & Gibson (Co. Durham) Brown (Yorkshire)