Author Topic: George Thomas Lamb B1811?????  (Read 978 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: George Thomas Lamb B1811?????
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 17 January 21 17:30 GMT (UK) »
That is great, maddys52. Well done for finding George Snr in 1841  ;) I failed miserably. Think it is because I was looking for him with at least Susanna from 1851, from www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGTF-MMN Susanna born c.1838 and John born c. 1844. Wonder who they were now and where Susanna was in 1841  :-\ Maybe they were registered under Fitzmorris?

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 18 January 21 00:32 GMT (UK) »
For interest,
George Thomas LAMB's first marriage to Mary Ann FITZMORRIS 2 June 1845 at ST Giles in the Field by banns.

George Thomas LAMB, full age, bachelor, engineer, Clements Lane. Father: Thomas LAMB, engineer.
Mary Ann FITZMORRIS, full age, spinster, Clements Lane. Father: John FITZMORRIS, porter.

George Thomas signs, Mary Ann with her mark.
Witnesses: Ann FITZMORRIS (her mark) and Ann BROWN (her mark) and Wm TAYLOR (who appears in a few entries, so presumably a curate or similar?)

May I ask where you found the cert, it is not showing on FS or Ancestry for me? Thank you

Hi Kerby,
For some reason on Ancestry it is not easy to find if you are searching for George Thomas LAMB. Instead, search for Mary Ann FITZMORRIS (born c1813, with spouse George LAMB) and then it comes up. I have to scroll down a few options. It is page 194 of the register of St Giles in the Fields, Holborn.

Definitely the same chap - the same signature, father, occupation.  :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 18 January 21 00:47 GMT (UK) »
They are in the 1841 at Clements Lane, St Clement Danes (all born in County except Ann who was born Scotland)

Ann FITZMORRIS   60   Seamstress [?]  Scotland
Mary LAMB             26   seamstress     
George LAMB         28   engineer         
James HANLEY       4                           
HO 107/731/10 pg37

So Mary calls herself "LAMB", though they don't marry until 1845.

Modified to add:
Presumably Mary's death: Jun qtr 1848 Strand (01/318) aged 30.

There is also a George Lamb in St Clements Dane on the 1841 census living with Harriet Lamb and he is a coachman.

Yes, there is. It is unfortunately a common name. However the other census entry is almost certainly the correct one as it has Ann FITZMORRIS living with them, and George is an engineer.  :)

As to why he changed occupations, it is perplexing. There could be any number of reasons, as Lily M said an "engineer" would  be someone who worked with machinery, not necessarily the profession that we know today as engineers. Sometimes clues can be found in newspapers of the day, however I have had a look but unfortunately can't see any mention of George.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 18 January 21 01:54 GMT (UK) »
That is great, maddys52. Well done for finding George Snr in 1841  ;) I failed miserably. Think it is because I was looking for him with at least Susanna from 1851, from www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGTF-MMN Susanna born c.1838 and John born c. 1844. Wonder who they were now and where Susanna was in 1841  :-\ Maybe they were registered under Fitzmorris?

Monica
:)
Yes. Susanna and John very difficult to find. There is also the James HANLEY in the 1841 born c 1837 - not sure where he fits in either ...  :-\

Offline Kerby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 18 January 21 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help, I have written everything out in a timeline and the biggest thing that stands out to show that the Engineer and Hawker are the same person is that both baptisms for George Thomas B1850 and Maria Elizabeth B1852 live at 6 Gilbert Street.

Offline Kerby

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 21 January 21 15:20 GMT (UK) »
So i have spent a few days trying to find Thomas Lamb.

His son is George Thomas Lamb B;1811

Thomas is listed as being an engineer on his sons marriage certificate.

I can't find a baptism for George Thomas.

Anyone have any idea where to go for this please?