Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 16th January  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 16th January
« on: Saturday 16 January 21 23:58 GMT (UK) »
We'd had rain again during the night, brightened up during the morning. Wasn't feeling like doing much today, was reading the news and my book for a while. Grocery delivery due between twelve and one, got ready for that, it arrived at 11.45. I'd ordered a couple of leeks, thought I'd make leek and potato soup, they were on the top of the crate, they were huge, looked like a couple of walking sticks. Had everything sorted out and stored in half an hour. Even with the current hygiene procedures that's a lot less time than it would take me to go round the supermarket. There's the time it takes to add items to the order but I can do that from the sofa.

After lunch I went for a walk, according to the Met Office the temperature was around six degrees but it felt colder than that. Bumped into a couple I know, had a chat to them, lovely to have company even for a short time.
Back home, did some watercolour painting, the light was fading and although I was tempted to carry on I left it, the electric light distorts the colours. Did some fish for tea, watched some TV, had a couple of glasses of the Chardonnay I'd had delivered.

Was reading that the government has relaxed the lockdown rules for dog walkers, apparently they can walk their dog more than once a day. I love dogs but I was rather perturbed to think that their wellbeing is deemed more important than mine. Nevertheless, I hope the furry friends enjoy their walks.

Look forward to hearing what everyone has been up to.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 16th January
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 21 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb: glad you got your walk in and had time/light to do your art. And the groceries! We have just finished up our order to pick up Monday morning.  There are more cases of COVID at our supermarket just now, so will clean it up and isolate other items until needed.
Went to the large park at the bottom of our street yesterday, OH wanted to run one of the cars so we took the scenic route and parked in one of the parking areas.  OH did a longer walk than I did.  I will try to get out again tomorrow - I believe it is helping my sciatica and just have to keep at it.
Thursday I had a wonderful telephone visit with an old friend.  It lasted over 2 hours.  She lives in our capital city and we both lived in a small town near there when we met 35 years ago.  Our children were babies then, both of us had one more after we met.  The kids attended the same schools and our youngest sons played hockey and soccer together. Lots of memories.  I am hoping we can get together after this awful virus is under control.  Her son has tested positive for Covid-19, just hoping he doesn’t get sick. 
We are still having a mild January, temps hovering around zero.  Some snow still on the ground that fell at Xmas, flurries called for tomorrow.  My son still lives in eastern Ontario and he texted me that they had a major snowstorm today, up to 25 cm.  They are also calling for a “polar vortex” later in January for the middle of the continent, we shall see.
Not much else going on, baked some banana chocolate chip muffins yesterday.  OH made a pot of chilli today.  We played cribbage, won one each. 
Started another Peter Lovesey book, The Tooth Tattoo.  These are library books, and we both read them, so must be read quickly!  Working on another jigsaw, just the cloudy sky to finish - a challenge.
And still pecking away at family history...found a spouse who does not appear on a census before she was married, on 1911 claims she was born in Betchworth, Surrey, but no birth registration.  Yikes!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 21 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Diana: "more cases of Covid at our supermarket" ?? So your people really do know where and how cases are appearing and spreading....
Wouldn't it be nice if the NHS were allowed to take over this thing in England, and sort it out?
Why are testing stations only being built now?
Why aren't GP surgeries doing the vaccinations for their own patient list?
Why are the people in power only interested in starting companies to line their own pockets?
Enough questions.

Well done Roobarb for restraining yourself with the painting. It would be soul destroying to find it was wrong in daylight.

I think I brought up the dog walking question a few days ago, during the question of how many distanced walks per day are excusable?  Or maybe I didn't have the courage to start another bun fight.

Yesterday we enjoyed our walk, which we put off until low tide, as we could see it was rather crowded on the prom, due to some intermittent sunshine. We actually walked on the sand, which we don't usually, but it was very pleasant and offered a different perspective. (5 ships in the Bay.)
We circled up to the main road and around a housing estate just to extend the exercise a little.

We have a cousin, a retired nurse, who is working with the volunteer vaccinators in Salisbury Cathedral. It is marvellous how many retired NHS have stepped up to do this.  Grateful thanks to them all.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 21 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Woke up to find that for once the Met. Office got it right - we had snow!   Everything looked so white and clean.   However, by early afternoon it had changed to rain and by the end of the day it had all gone.   Somewhat short lived but was indeed lovely to see.  Saw in local paper later that children played in the snow with sledges and building snowmen who sadly wouldn't have lasted for long.

Jigsaw finished and spent most of the day - a lazy one really - knitting for the babies.  Both progressing well at home but the smaller one, Darcy, is very clingy and wants to be picked up all the time.  Probably because she spent so much time in ICU with people constantly seeing to her.   

Just the usual kind of day for me so nothing much to report I'm afraid.

Take care all.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 21 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Diana,  pleased to hear that the walking has been good for your sciatica. It's strange to read that temperatures of zero mean it's mild there, whereas we're complaining about how cold it is at that temperature. Very different climates. I hope your friend's son stays well.

MH, sorry if I missed your post re the dog walking. Your walk on the beach sounds lovely, I always think that walking next to the sea is good for the soul. Well done to your cousin, we'd be so much worse off without people like her stepping up to help.

Annette, the babies will have a whole wardrobe of lovingly knitted clothes. Good to hear that they're doing well.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 21 16:03 GMT (UK) »
I do agree with you Roobarb about not being able to go out twice unless you have a dog.  We are allowed to walk to the shops or post box, some people have these nearby others they can be some distance so it can be a good walk.  I was thinking about the 7 mile cycle ride,  perhaps we should be told we can only be out for an hours 'exercise' a day and it is down to us how we use it. 

I timed myself today on my 2 dog walks, the first I left home and walked down the street and onto the rec and then walked to the other side of the rec & back home (25 minutes).  The exercise was hardly beneficial to me as Alfie wanders along looking for food so it is more like strolling and stopping.  This afternoon I went to the rec again but was out for less than 15 minutes, there were lots of people out there and I wanted to avoid them so turned back.  In theory he should have a walk before bed but we have encouraged him to wander in the garden but it does mean we are having to get up in the night for him to go out. 

Now that we are allowed to walk him more than once a day each it does mean we can take it in turns and I can walk him every other day giving me the opportunity to have one good walk without him on the days OH walks him.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 January 21 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Ref the "7 mile bike ride"

BJ was seen cycling at a venue 7 miles from Downing Street.
IF he cycled to the venue, and after being seen cycling around the venue, he then cycled home again, it was a darn sight more than 7 miles total, which I am doubting.
Another choice would be that he drove there, in which case, words fail me!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 January 21 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I don't think he'd dare, someone would be sure to spot him! CCTV, dash cams, eagle eyed members of the public - there's no hiding place! Perhaps he got a lift and hid in the boot.  ;D ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 January 21 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Or changed his wig  ;D.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk