Author Topic: Cemetery in Castlebank, Dumfries-shire  (Read 625 times)

Offline kaysea847

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cemetery in Castlebank, Dumfries-shire
« on: Sunday 17 January 21 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, my Great-great grandfather William Shannon is listed in Ancestry as having died at Castlebank in 1907 and been buried in "Cemetery, Section D, Grave 13".  I haven't been able to locate a Castlebank Cemetery - does anyone know which Cemetery the entry refers to and is it able to be looked up online.  Unfortunately, I had the same problem with his wife Jamsie, buried at the same location.
Thanks
kevin

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery in Castlebank, Dumfries-shire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 21 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The Valuation Rolls on Scotlands People give William Shannon living at Nith Cottage, Castlebank, Glencaple Road, Dumfries up to 1907, David Shannon is found there 1914/15.
Castlebank will be the place of death but not a cemetery, there are a number of cemeteries in Dumfries possibly St.Michaels, Dumfries or Dumfries High Cemetery which are both in area near to Castlebank.
hmcc.

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 21 22:14 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the Ancestry entry and then start going back, page by page, you will come to the beginning of the cemetery with a title page.

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 21 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Found David Shannon (son) and Isabella Shannon(daughter) of William Shannon at St. Michaels Cemetery, Dumfries Register D, 12.
The following page has Margaret Holden (Shannon) to the left at edge of page which seems to be missing, assuming this is D 13.
https://www.ancestrylibraryedition.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/9041/images/41905_6117463_0035-00112?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&pId=205565
hmcc.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline kaysea847

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 21 04:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all who replied I've gained some interesting info.
"hmcc" I found the entries re David & Isabella in D12 but having scrolled through 500 odd pages D13 is completely missing. I agree with your comment that Margaret Holden Shannon is quite probably in D13 as well as her parents, however the link you provided didn't work.
In an aside I located a book called "Memorials of St Michaels, the old Parish Churchyard of Dumfries" and there is a mention of Margaret the 16 year old daughter of William being buried there, I had wondered where she was buried. Now I wonder whether Margaret, her parents William & Jamsie (Jemima) and Margaret Holden Shannon are all buried in D13.
Would anyone living locally mind taking a photo of D12 & D 13 for me if it isn't too inconvenient.
rgds
kevin

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 21 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi, It certainly looks like St Michael/s. The link to the images is not working. I would suggest that you report that to Ancestry. Regarding the book, Memorials of St Michaels. This was written about 1880 and refers to the old graveyard at St Michael's church. Section D, could be the newer section behind the church or it could be in the Craigs Road cemetery. I think both have a section D.

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 21 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about the link I posted yesterday not working, I was using the library edition of Ancestry therefore would only work to my library account.
Regarding St. Michaels Cemetery Register (1854 - 2010), the entries D12 and (D13 missing) were found on pages 92 and 93. Hope this helps.
hmcc.

Offline kaysea847

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for all your comments, I have reported the missing page 93 to Ancestry and I also sent an email to Dumfries Council asking if they could copy it for me (in case Ancestry doesn't come good
rgds
kevin