Author Topic: Alexander Maitland b 1810  (Read 1881 times)

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Maitland b 1810
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 January 21 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I can't find the FS entry to link, but from the transcript on Ancestry. Note spelling of Maitland:

1861 in St Saviour Southwark:
Alexander Martland 51 b. Scotland
Phebe Martland 55 b. Somerset
Sarah Packer 25 daughter in law
William H Cunall 19 lodger

1871 and he is in Brecon, Wales:
Edward Bayley 51
Susannah Bayley 53
George Wall 53
Alexander Martland 60 widowed lodger b. Musselburgh Scotland
Thomas Jenkins 64

Monica

Monica, that's a great find, many thanks for all of your help.
Best wishes
Paul

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 January 21 18:35 GMT (UK) »
As an update to this thread. Alexander Maitland remarried and on his marriage certificate he names his Father as John Maitland Book Seller. I believe that John Maitland was born in Aberdeenshire and relocated to Liverpool as an Agent of the Glasgow publishing firm Blackie and Sons. One of his sons John Jnr became a wealthy newspaper proprietor of the Liverpool Mercury.
Best wishes
Paul

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 January 21 22:25 GMT (UK) »
That second marriage cert certainly helps to firm up Alexander's ancestry. Thanks for confirming  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 January 21 13:29 GMT (UK) »
... At his wedding one of the witnesses was a Ann Jaffrey nee Maitland she was born in Newhills, Aberdeen in 1809 and she died in Liverpool in 1841. Was this his sister or a cousin?

Ann was one of a number of Maitland's that settled in Liverpool....

There are a number of Maitland entries for births and christenings in Newhills, where fathers show as William and George in the late 1700s and early 1800s.

One of these looks to potentially be George, son of William www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYFQ-3VW I think this might be this George in a later census:

George Maitland 63 Bookseller Agent b. Newhills
Margaret Maitland 51 wife
Elspet Maitland 22 daughter
Clemintina Eming 22

William Hadee 42

Address: 255 George St, Aberdeen

Possible connection to Ann and/or Alexander?

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/people/people_report_view.asp?REF_ID=NM123694

Monica

Monica, I now think that the George that you found here is John Maitland snr's brother. So another link to the Blackie publishing firm. 
Best wishes
Paul

Offline Misces

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 November 21 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,

We appear to be researching the same family. I am descended from one of the NZ Maitlands and also a direct descendant of John Maitland (Snr). I have been researching the family for about 30 years and inherited older trees from my grandmother's cousin who did a lot of work. I had suspected Alexander Maitland was an older brother of John. I also believe that he was named after Ann Grey's father as there is a baptism record for her with which fits the date of birth with Alexander Grey as the father.

I have been mainly working in Familysearch and have recently had another look at Alexander Maitland. I have put together the findings and have added him to the tree. The clincher was the mention of his father on his second marriage certificate and his father's occupation. As you are aware there is a strong connection to the publishing firm of Blackie and Sons.

Here is Alexander's link in family search: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LTD6-36C

I have also been attempting to link the Maitlands and other branches of my family via Find a Grave. I found the record for Alexander's burial and have made the record and links for him just prior to finding this chat. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/234162216/alexander-maitland

I hope you find this useful.

Regards, David

Offline paulsue38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 November 21 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi David, many thanks for the information. I do have DNA matches to the Maitland's in NZ.
Best wishes
Paul