Author Topic: GODWARD'S nottingham  (Read 472 times)

Offline gales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
GODWARD'S nottingham
« on: Sunday 17 January 21 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Anyone connected to Henry Godward born 1845 married 1865 to Thyrza Jenkins  from Sligo Ireland  i have a copy of the marriage certificate  naming her Father as Gulielmus Jenkins Sligo no mention of the mother. Having looked through lots of research for Ireland I have drawn a blank on Gulielmus Jenkins.  Henry was my Gt Grandfather Daughter Theresa Agnes being my Grandmother born 1898 married to William Edley.  I am looking for any information re  Gulielmus Jenkins and his wife did he stay in Nottingham after his Daughters marriage to Henry or return to Ireland? Any details appreciated. gales.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GODWARD'S nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 21 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Gulielmusis the latinised version of William ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 21 23:24 GMT (UK) »
no mention of the mother.

English marriage certs never show mothers name

did he stay in Nottingham after his Daughters marriage to Henry or return to Ireland?

Assuming he was alive and present at the marriage.  His name on the cert doesn't necessarily mean he was in attendance.  Was he a witness?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline gales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 January 21 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank You for replies.  Just gives the fathers name .

Online Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 January 21 10:09 GMT (UK) »
As Carole says, English marriage certificates don't normally give the mother's name (I wouldn't say "never" but it's very unusual and I've only seen it when there's no father named).

Giving the father's name doesn't imply that he was present at the wedding, nor does it imply that he was actually still alive anywhere.

I see that Thirza is also k/a Treacy, Theresa, Teresa, and was b in Sligo.

Looking at the Notts FH CD, there are NO burials in Nottinghamshire that would fit with a William Jenkins, old enough to be Thirza's father. Nor can I see any potential matches for him in the censuses.

I'm working on the basis that William was also Irish, but Jenkins is not an Irish name so it's possible that he could have been living in Ireland when Thirza was born, rather than native to Ireland - have you looked at Army records?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline gales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 January 21 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Appreciate your reply.  I haven't looked at army records. Looked at quiet a few records but drawn a blank.  I remember my Gran saying her Mother was from Ireland and then living in Nottingham worked for a local church,    Thank You