Author Topic: Stamps in a will prior to the 1840 postal reform?  (Read 555 times)

Offline ruthruss

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stamps in a will prior to the 1840 postal reform?
« on: Monday 18 January 21 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, Ephraim Batterby died in Shipdham in 1815. He was a farmer, and not wealthy. There is a small inventory at the bottom of his will which reads:

Personals
under £100
10s Stamp
2 Sheets

Can anyone tell me what on earth the stamp and sheets might refer to? Many thanks! If anyone needs the whole will for some context will post in a reply.
Allen Batterby Rimmer Conroy Brigham Pierpoint Butcher Winnard

Offline ruthruss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Stamps in a will prior to the 1840 postal reform?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 21 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Will of Ephraim Batterby:

The last Will and Testament of Ephraham Batterber of the parish of Shipdham in the County of Norfolk Farmer I Ephrahem Batterber do hereby Will and bequeath to my Wife Frances Batterber all my stock farming utensils implements of husbandry household furniture and all my other property during her Life she paying to my daughter Sarah Batterber Wife of Zachariah Batterber of Lynn in the County of Norfolk the sum of thirty pounds and at the decease of my said Wife Frances Batterber the whole of the property Stock farming untensils implements of husbandry household furniture &c &c to be valued and equally divided between my daughters Frances & Anne their heirs administrators or assigns each of them appointing a friend to value the said property In witness whereof we sign seal our names this eight day of February eighteen hundred and fifteen.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 21 02:10 GMT (UK) »
For 500 years the UK government owned the Post Office and issued stamps, etc.

When I was younger it was not unusual for a shop keeper to issue a bill to his customer which had a postal stamp stuck on it, which was the tax due on the item.

I'm presuming that the 10 shilling postal stamp was payment for tax owed to the government

I'd be interested to see if somebody has a different explanation.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruthruss

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 21 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies. Do any of you know, is this "Personals" list just a list of things he had on him when he died? Seems a bit short to be a full inventory with so much listed in his will.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 21 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Rena, the UK hasn't existed for 500 years!  ;D

Skoosh.

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 21 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Rena, the UK hasn't existed for 500 years!  ;D

Skoosh.

What's one hundred or so years amongst friends?   ::) ;D ;D ::)

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 21 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Is that small list identified as an Inventory?  It does seem to be more like a series of file notes.
"File this document under Personals under £100.
10s stamp has been paid [or is to be paid]
The document contains 2 sheets."
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will: