Author Topic: Rest & Recreation 1943, Murree Hills nr Rawalpindi RAF USAF IAF aircrews  (Read 530 times)

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rest & Recreation 1943, Murree Hills nr Rawalpindi RAF USAF IAF aircrews
« on: Monday 18 January 21 15:39 GMT (UK) »
This is a photo from my mother's WW2 album. The one with her arm slipped through that of the very handsome looking Indian Pilot - not my Dad !!
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rest & Recreation 1943, Murree Hills nr Rawalpindi RAF USAF IAF aircrews
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 21 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Photograph taken in 1943. Two years before the change of name.

In recognition of the services rendered by the IAF, King George VI conferred the prefix "Royal" in 1945. Thereafter the IAF was referred to as Royal Indian Air Force. In 1950, when India became a republic, the prefix was dropped and it reverted to Indian Air Force.

Offline Spikey68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 02:06 GMT (UK) »
I do not believe the gentleman is Indian. He maybe a bit tanned but the features do not look Indian. And most British (Raj) clubs and R&R centres did not permit Indians in, regardless of their service or rank.

May I share this photo on a FB group I admin that focuses on the RAF in India and Burma? Or would you care to share it in the group. We have a number of experts who maybe able to ID some of the pilots (there are also army personnel and at least a couple of airborne).

Search for "RAF in Burma India & SEAC - WW2 Research"

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello Spikey,

That's fine by me and why I posted it here when I discovered it with the story written on the back by my Mum.

Best wishes for 2021.

Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 January 21 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Photograph taken in 1943. Two years before the change of name.

In recognition of the services rendered by the IAF, King George VI conferred the prefix "Royal" in 1945. Thereafter the IAF was referred to as Royal Indian Air Force. In 1950, when India became a republic, the prefix was dropped and it reverted to Indian Air Force.
And four years before the other change of name - in 1943 this was the US Army Air Force, becoming independent in September 1947 as the USAF.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan