Author Topic: JANE BOSWELL AND HER FAMILY NEWARK  (Read 397 times)

Offline gela

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JANE BOSWELL AND HER FAMILY NEWARK
« on: Monday 18 January 21 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm wondering if anyone please knows who the parents of Jane Boswell are. In the 1861 census, she is living in Newark, she is showing as being aged 36 and born in Sheffield. She has 4 sons

William born 1850 Horncastle and died 1872 Newark

Thomas born 1856 Newark, i think he married Adelina Smith daughter of William Boswell and Bethina Gray and then Matilda Charlotte daughter of Sistance Charlotte and Clementina Clayton.

John Boswell born 1858 Newark , i think he married Miriam Smith daughter of Moses and Eldri

Richard Boswell born 1860 Newark

In the 1871 census John and Richard are in the workhouse in Claypole. I found a newspaper report saying she had left one of them at the union and went to the Ridings of  West Yorkshire to live with a donkey dealer named Smith a police man apprehended her and she was sentenced to one month hard labour and told if she didn't take him on her release she would be sentenced to 3 more.

I could not find any more out about Richard after the 1871 census. I think the boy's father could be a William Johnson a lodger living with them in 1861 census. As i found a baptism for a William Johnson 1850 Horncastle, father William Johnson, mother Jane, abode Workhouse , Vagrants.

I'm also interested as Thomas born in 1856 is living with Thomas and Mary Ann Brown in the 1871 census Newark . Thomas Brown is a Chimney Sweep and just wondered if there could be a connection with the Brown gypsy family.

Any info would be a great help . Thank you