Author Topic: Robert Noble Scarborough 1730s-1780s  (Read 717 times)

Offline ali.

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Noble Scarborough 1730s-1780s
« on: Monday 18 January 21 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, long post incoming!!

I'm stumped on this guy. He's always caused me trouble. Wondering if anyone can help?

What I know for certain:
Robert Noble married Ann Cornforth (nee Hodgson, widow) in Hackness near Scarborough 21 May 1773. He is living in Harwood Dale at the time and his marriage status isn't listed, (but he's listed as a Mason) and she is a widow living in Scalby. Wife seems to have been born in 1739, but may be older than him as she's widowed and he may not be.

Children:
John Noble b.1774, Scalby
Ann Noble b.1779, Burniston
Jane Noble b.1780 Scalby
Robert Noble Jr b.1782 Burniston
Samuel Noble b.1786 Cloughton

5 remain their whole lives in the Scarborough district, and 1 moves to Whitby as an adult. No other known children to him are born after Samuel in 1786.

I've only found 3 potential burial records which may give more information; 2 in Whitby and 1 in Hackness. Only ones I can find within 20 miles of Scarborough between 1746-1826.

1. Robert Noble buried 29 April 1788, St Mary's, Whitby. Listed as a boat builder "of Whitby."
    Age 42, born circa 1746.
    Probate in York in 1789, but no images to view so nothing known about it.
    (This Rob Seems to have been baptised in Fylingales in 1749)

2. Robert Noble buried 17 Apr 1785, St Mary's, Whitby. "Master Mariner"
    Age 51, born circa 1734.
    (This Rob seems to have been baptised in St Mary's Whitby in 1736)

3. Robert Noble buried 22 Mar 1812, Hackness near Scarborough. "Parish Clerk"
    Age 75, born circa 1737.

None of the occupations match up & going off his occupation at marriage, I'm unsure exactly what type of mason he would have been, as the burial records hint he may have been a woodworker - and several of his children and several generations of descendants worked as both wood turners & stone masons.

No clue if any of these give enough information for me to rule them in or out as possibilities. Because all of his children grow up and remain in and around Scarborough & Hackness I find it unlikely their father would have lived in Whitby at the time of his death and be listed as "of Whitby".

Do you think any of these sound likely? He's driving me nuts   ???
Noble, Bielby, Vipond - Scarborough/Whitby
Goodfellow - Shaftesbury/Cann, Dorset
Smyth, Kelly, Fearon, McAteer, Hughes - Armagh/Down