Author Topic: Belgium help please, Van de poel  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Danuella

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Belgium help please, Van de poel
« on: Monday 18 January 21 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My paternal Grandmother is Flemish, her name was Ludovica Van de poel, she was born in Herentals(along with her siblings) beginning in the mid 1920s.her parents were Frans Van de poel and Magdalena Smit, I can find no birth or marriage for either frans or Magdalena.
Frans's parents were Josef/Josephus Van de poel and Antoinette/antoina Broekaert(I have found Antoinette birth record in schellebelle).
I have managed to glean some information from the Belgian archives, which has been incredibly hard as I sadly don't speak Dutch.
18/09/1909 I have found a death record(I presume) for 1 of their daughters Maria sidonia Van de poel, she was 1 year, 3 months and 4 days old, and it says she was born in Farciennes, but the death was Herentals
Alos on 18/09/1909 in Herentals they register another child's birth, Rosalia Ludovica Van de poel(I was very excited to find this record as I have a picture of Rosalia as a child but no one knew who she was!)
I have also found another daughters death.. Margeretha August Van de poel born Herentals died aged 1 year, 3 months 26 days on 6/7/1914 in Herentals( I found her birth
10/3/1913 in Herentals)
I also found Michael Van de poel born 10/9/1914 in Herentals.
All children of Josef and Antoinette.
Would anyone be able to help me find marriage records for Frans and Magdalena, and marriage records for Josef and Antoinette and also birth records for Frans and Josef.
We always thought the family came from Herentals but it seems not, I have not been successful in finding records for Farciennes.
Any help would be very very much appreciated,i was close to my grandmother.
Many thanks
Danni
Whiting,Josselyn,Hawes,Copping,Van de poel

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Belgium help please, Van de poel
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm just checking the details of the birth record you found in 1909 now.
Details to follow.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 00:20 GMT (UK) »
So:

birth registered on 20th September 1909 at 3pm by Josephus Van de Poel, occupation "Handwerker" (some kind of craftsman) aged 28 born in Oevel and living in Herentals who declared that a female child had been born on the 18th September at 7.30pm to him and his wife Antonia Broekaert aged 25 born in Schellebelle to which they had given the first names Rosalia Ludovica.
The registration was witnessed by:
Ludovicus Van de Poel factory worker aged 32
Frans Heugels (I think) innkeeper aged 39
both living in Herentals

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 00:24 GMT (UK) »
There's the registration of a birth in Oevel in July 1880, Josephus Van de Poel. I'll look into that later, but first I'll try to find his marriage to Antonia Broekaert.

Offline Danuella

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Oh my days!!!! I am super excited to see this!! Just looking on the map and oevel isn't far from herentals at all is it! Ludoviucs... Ohhh I wonder if he's related as not only does roslaie have the name Ludovica as a middle name that was my grandmother's name too! Oh wow, I can't tell you how excited I am lol.
Thankyou so very much for this. Would you be able to tell me what website you are using to find these records please?
Honetsly, I can't thank you enough! I have spent so many hours trying to find them all and just got no where, well till yesterday when I came across the Belgian website.
Danni

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 00:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm using the national archives website.
My paternal grandmother was also Flemish so I've used the website a lot and luckily my Dutch is ok.
I'll do some more digging. Very happy to help you.

Offline Danuella

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Oh wow! I've never actually known another person with Flemish relatives, so nice to meet you   :D Nanna refused to teach any of us Flemish, not sure why, but I think she was very aware of being a "foreigner" back in those days and sadly she got alzheimers before I was of an age to ask any real questions. My grandad told me all he knew many years ago before he died, but Nanna wasn't very forthcoming about her history. When both my grandparents died I got all their old photographs so have lots of photos of people whom I have no idea who they are sadly. I really need to learn Dutch at some point.
Thankyou once again, I can't tell you how happy I am to see this.
Danni

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 01:06 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother didn't teach us any of her first language either. But I was determined to learn as much as possible so I'm actually the only of her grandchildren who can speak any Dutch.

I had a look again at the 1909 death registration you mentioned, which confirms that Ludovicus Van de Poel is the brother of Josephus Van de Poel.

I can't find a marriage registration for Josephus Van de Poel and Antonia Broekaert in either Oevel, Herentals or Schellebelle.

Unfortunately it seems the records for Farciennes on the National Archives website only goes up to 1900. I think perhaps Josephus and Antonia Broekaert may have married in Farciennes and even that Frans was born there?

Offline Danuella

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 01:41 GMT (UK) »
That's pretty awesome have to admit :)
Brilliant, thankyou so much.
Oh that's a shame, but that would make perfect sense wouldn't it. I have a death year (provided by my cousin) of 1984 for Frans. Apart from what you have given me tonight I have no other knowledge at all of Josephus. Thankyou so much for all this. I didn't realise it was actually the national archives I was looking at too, but not being able to read anything that was on the page made it horrendous to try and navigate(obviously lol)
Are you happy to search for josephus's birth record for me please?
Thanks
Danni