Author Topic: Help needed with identifying uniform  (Read 838 times)

Offline Terrier70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with identifying uniform
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 February 21 18:38 GMT (UK) »
I have a final update regarding information received from the Sussex record office.  They have in fact found several references to a John Athey in the Volunteer muster returns -

(1878) included Gunner J Athey of Brighton, no. 2407, enrolled on 2 April 1874. The return for 1874 confirmed this enrolment date and added his forename, John.
 (1884) recorded him, initial only, as Corporal, with no. 2409, in No. 4 Battery, Brighton. 
(1887) entered him as Sergeant J Athey, again no. 2409 in the same battery.
He passed his certificate of proficiency on 13 December 1884.

So given the confirmation that his forename was John, I think there’s no doubt that John William Athey, born 1850, is indeed the man in my photo.  As you say, it’s great when things come together like this, so thanks for your help, it’s been really interesting.

Offline FROGSMILE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with identifying uniform
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 March 21 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I have a final update regarding information received from the Sussex record office.  They have in fact found several references to a John Athey in the Volunteer muster returns -

(1878) included Gunner J Athey of Brighton, no. 2407, enrolled on 2 April 1874. The return for 1874 confirmed this enrolment date and added his forename, John.
 (1884) recorded him, initial only, as Corporal, with no. 2409, in No. 4 Battery, Brighton. 
(1887) entered him as Sergeant J Athey, again no. 2409 in the same battery.
He passed his certificate of proficiency on 13 December 1884.

So given the confirmation that his forename was John, I think there’s no doubt that John William Athey, born 1850, is indeed the man in my photo.  As you say, it’s great when things come together like this, so thanks for your help, it’s been really interesting.

The proficiency badge is what you can see above the 3-stripes and gun badge on his right arm.  It suggests that your photo was probably taken not long after the award of his cerfificate (which he earned via study) in 1884-85.