Author Topic: Finding places of burial in London  (Read 965 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finding places of burial in London
« on: Monday 18 January 21 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I have never been much interested in finding where ancestors were buried  - decided most of my ancestors would have been too poor to pay for headstone on grave !  Though that wouldn't have been true for some of them of course.
However a family contact living in Australia has asked me if I can find where members of her family are buried and I would like help in how to go about searching for that.   Her ancestor was Henry William Salmon who died January 1892 living in Bermondsey at the time of death (age 48yrs).  Also for his wife Fanny Salmon died  1914.   He had a success business so I am sure the family had a headstone for him / them !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finding places of burial in London
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 21 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Check the pinned posts on the head of the London & Middlesex board.
There used to be a series of posts on how to do this.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 21 23:54 GMT (UK) »
1892 death was registered as William Henry Salmon aged 47 - St Olave RD.

Fanny died 22.1.1914 aged 68 also St Olave RD

William left a will - he was a manure merchant & died 3.1.1892 leaving £9,089 which was a sizeable sum back in 1892 https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Fanny also left a will & estate valued at £10,685

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for both replies.

After posting decided to look for Will for William Henry, in case there was some indication for place of burial in that, and have ordered a copy.  Will also order the one for Fanny.

Might St Olave RD give some indication of where they were buried ?

What searchable burial registers are available for London ?   I have just seen a website called Deceased Online so might ask Helen in Australia if she knows about this and might want to  subscribe.  Anyone used that website ?

I get the feeling it is likely to be a long and thankless task trying to find such a burial !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I've used Deceased Online on a few occasions;  it does offer a free search.  If you get a positive result you then have the option to buy credits to get more details.

It is still "work in progress" so it might be useful to check every few months or so.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I did a free search for William Henry but I only seemed to get burials in Scotland !   Can you determine the area / city ?

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I've not used the site for some time;  at one time you could but I think it has now changed to those with vouchers/credits.

If you know their last address you could search for the nearest cemeteries and perhaps they would search their records for you; some charge ££ for this now!

Fingers crossed that one of the Wills helps. One of my gt.aunts, who died in Dorset, requested that her ashes were put in her mother's grave in Woolwich!
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank for reply nanny jan.     I will do as you suggest about address, as I do have that.  It looks as if you can buy credits / voucher to search on the Deceased Online website or it is £68 for annual membership.  i will see what Helen in Australia wants to do.    I need to determine from her what research she has done so far to try to find the burial site.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Credits is the way to go unless you have many burials to look for.

Good luck with the search.  :)