Author Topic: Who was Gracie?  (Read 551 times)

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Who was Gracie?
« on: Tuesday 19 January 21 06:14 GMT (UK) »
This young lady isn't part of my tree but appears on two postcard images taken by a relative in Coalville. The rear of the card has a handwritten note "to aunty Dorothy & all, love and best wishes Gracie".

I suspect from the second card she has a younger brother called Alan based on the message on the back and that she is shown sitting alongside a younger boy.

Dating them is a little awkward, though the rear of the card is somewhat generic I have some which feature injured soldiers and one with the girl's school hockey team noted as 1920 with the same appearance to the rear.

A hi res image of the card (and image of the rear in the comments below the card), on the link to my flickr album
https://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/48988391772/in/album-72157666924979165/

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Who was Gracie?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 06:25 GMT (UK) »
I have just found a website offering a clue to the date. The TIC and horseshoe is a standard design by the postcard paper supplier though the design with the double "x" one above the other in the word POST CARD is deemed to be 1920 and 1921.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Both cards have got "1921" written in a different hand on the back. Did they have that when they reached you?

I'd say that Alan is maybe about 3 and Gracie no more than a couple of years older.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 21 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Both cards have got "1921" written in a different hand on the back. Did they have that when they reached you?

I'd say that Alan is maybe about 3 and Gracie no more than a couple of years older.

They did, possibly added by the seller who is a dealer though it may have been added years before. The date markers are a guide rather than definitive as they indicate when the photopaper was made and there's no way to be sure how long after it was used. The majority of used cards with the mark are postmarked 1920 and 1921.

It's possibly an impossible task to work out who Gracie and Alan are unless someone recognises them but I keep trying. I've fallen under her spell ever since I saw the card for sale.  :)